1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with methods for getting pupils to read questions before answering in exams!

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by hayleybray, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I'm hoping someone can help me with this! I am looking for methods or ways to get pupils to read the question before answering exam questions. We have a few that go straight in and answer the question before reading the full thing and wondered if there was any advice or method which we could practice? Any advice would be appreciated!

2. not sure if it will help in an exam / long term but as an example of why its important...
    I was once given a simple maths test by a teacher. we were told to read the whole thing through before doing the questions and when we were done to put our hands up to show we had finished. right at the end of the paper on the last question it said - only answer questions 6 & 27 (or something similar). now obviously if u read this first you finished the paper in record time and the other kids were amazed when those of us who had followed the instructions were allowed to leave the room really quickly.
    I did teach me the importance of reading something through first if you are told to do so. Dont know if it would still work today tho'.

3. I've found that the reason a lot of them ignore bits of the question is because they don't fully understand the terms. I would think that allocating decent slots of time to deconstructing the questions you give them -(and/or deconstructing every question for a while) will get them in to the habit. I don't know what level of student you are working with so I can't be more specific. Things like analysing where sample answers have missed and then showing examples of where they've hit and then highlighting that the drastic difference in marks is because one answered the question might help. An example is worth a thousand explanations and all that.