1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with MA questionnaire please

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Appleton_ICT, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Hi all I am currently studying a Research Methods module for my MA and would like some input as to questions that would help me to achieve my aim. I am looking into whether ICT facilities at home have an effect on grades in ICT at school. My assumption is yes they do, but I am conducting a survey on students at my school next week. Last time I posted a link to a survey on tes I was slated for my questions by other teachers, so I humbly ask for your help here. Ideas for questions so far are:

Do you have a PC or laptop at home?

Do you have easy access to a PC or laptop outside of school?

Do you have Internet access?

Have you used any other device for schoolwork? (Mobile, Ipod, Ipad etc.)

How many hours a week do you use a PC or laptop at home for schoolwork?

How many hours a week do you use a PC or laptop at home for entertainment?

Would you describe your parents/carers as being ?computer literate??

Do your parents encourage you to use a computer for schoolwork?

Do you think that using a computer at home has helped your computer literacy in school?

<hr />

Any more questions or improvements to these are very much appreciated.

2. All sound good to me, although I think I might edit the phrases 'computer lierate' and 'computer literacy' to something more student-friendly (depending on what age/ability you are questioning). Good luck!

3. *literate*
    Had another thought about this too - maybe you could give the students a list of tasks that can be done on a computer then you, as the researcher, can determine computer literacy - e.g Can your parents/carers: send an email? use the internet to look up things they are interested in? write a letter using Word? watch a video/TV show online? etc.
    Again, good luck!

4. Yes I see I was thinking I would have to explain that, but a set of sub questions would help a lot, would be interesting so see the pattern between which students can do these things and which parents, thanks a lot! I will create a preliminary survey later on and post a link so you can see what you think, cheers!