1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Literacy Planning Please!!!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by louiseakerman, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Could anyone give me some advise on FS literacy medium term planning please, I have been working with YR/Y1 for 6 years and am used to working with Year 1 units and adapting for Rec but am working with just YR in Sept. The medium term planning sheet template I have been given is based on the units/phases for the rest of school and I am getting confused.

2. hurny

hurny New commenter

I'm sorry not to be of more help, but I don't have a medium term plan just for literacy.
    My MTP incorporates all areas of learning in the EYFS. At the beginning of term my plans will be based on the development matters statements and the ELGs scale points 1-3, once I get to know where the children are in their development, I will create another medium term plan after half term based on the varying needs of the children.
    I have an example medium term plan in my resources, but it may not be of any use as I don't plan specific activities that far in advance.
    Hopefully someone will be able to help you more, but I thought it might be useful to see an alternative way of medium term planning.

3. Thanks for that, I have already done a MTP that covers all areas for my topic so maybe that should cover it. Worried about overplanning anyway as I want to make sure enough is from children and give time to settle in, baseline obs etc.

4. I also don't write MTP for literacy but do choose booked based on either a topic of the childrens interest or a focused topic from our LTP.
    An example of this is our autumn half term topic of ourselves in FS1, as I don't know any of the children apart form a home visit I will start with a thought shower with the children to find out what they know about themselves from particular avenues, i.e emotions, likes and dislkes ect I have already chossen 6 literacy books for the half term but may change these after the thought shower input or change the level at which we use the book as a vehicle for our activites.
    Therefore at the momment I will be covering all the six areas through these books
    Names and lables
    What makes me happy
    Elmer
    The Rainbow Fish
    Owl Babies
    Handa's surprise

5. Thank you for your help. Do you have an ispn number and/or author for the names and labels book?

6. I use the labybird Starting school book which has labelled pegs and notes on classroom doors etc and the basic lessons are adapted from the hamiliton trusts literacy week about names and lables
    I can send you a copy of the plan if you email me
    Littlestones