1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with literacy interview yr1/2

Discussion in 'Primary' started by MissEmilyW, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Hi, just wondered if anyone could give me some advice.

I have an interview and my teaching part is to be in a mixed ability year1/2 class of 15 pupils. I have been told to lead a story session and then include in my plans how i would use this story to launch into a mini project.

Any ideas on a good story/mini project that will make me stand out from the rest?

Thank you

2. Hi, just wondered if anyone could give me some advice.

I have an interview and my teaching part is to be in a mixed ability year1/2 class of 15 pupils. I have been told to lead a story session and then include in my plans how i would use this story to launch into a mini project.

Any ideas on a good story/mini project that will make me stand out from the rest?

Thank you

3. I had to do something very similar for my PGCE interview, and the person who observed me was very impressed with what I did, and when I was checking if my idea would work with a couple of Year 1/2 teachers prior to the interview they actually thought that I was going for a job interview as it was so well thought out!!
    This is what I did;
    I had a story bag (I made a drawstring bag out of brightly coloured material but I think you can buy them)
    Inside I had a cartoon laminted figures (I drew them but nothing wrong with getting them from the net) of the main characters from Jack and the Beanstalk (I didn't have the Giant as the LO for my lesson was about plant growth so I didn't take the story that far)
    I had them blue tacked together in a certain order, and I had a laminted background scene that was just a house in the foreground, a long windy path over the hills and a town in the background. I didn't want to just 'tell' the story so I said to the kids "I'm here to tell you a story today but I was in such a hurry to get here this morning that I threw all of my stories into this bag and now I don't know which one will come out! Can you help me figure out which story it is?" this had them hooked immediately!!
    I pulled out the mom, and let them have a quick guess, and said "Ok, let's carry on and see if we're right" then Jack, then the old lady holding a bag of beans (it was at this point that someone guessed it was Jack and The Beanstalk) and finally the beanstalk. I was adding each of these things to the scene as I took them out.
    Once we were sure it was that story I got the children to tell me the story, just a sentence at a time to allow everyone a chance to have a go, and stopped them when they got to the point where the beanstalk grew so that we could move on to the activity I had prepared. (This definately kept them more engaged than me just reading a story and the teacher observing me really liked the fact that I had thought outside of the box and not just opened a book - in fact I didn't have a book on me!!)
    The follow-up project for this could be what I actually did for my activity. I had 2 lots of 6 beanstalks at varying stages of development (I had been planting them every 2 days for 2 weeks prior to the interview). They were in a plastic see through half-pint 'glass' with the bean held in place with kitchen paper that I had kept damp. I got them to put the plants into growth order, name the different plant parts and draw the different stages onto a 'bean diary'. If I had been doing this with a class I was working with I would have got them to grow the plants themselves and recorded the growth in a a diary every couple of days, but I only had 30 minutes!!
    I have loads of Jack and The Beanstalk linked worksheets, and a whole topic web of ideas that I thought of as cross-curricular links (I got very excited about having to plan my first lesson and couldn't actually stop, I ended up with a half term worth of stuff!! LOL!) if you want to have a look just drop me a message and I'll email them to you.

4. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

Nooooooooooooooooo!
    Not another sodding post asking for us to plan their interview lesson/ student observed lesson. Doesn't anybody read those posts which suggest deciding on a learning objective, planning for a lesson based on those LOs, and then posting both LO and lesson plan and asking for feedback on them.
    I really don't want somebody working in my school who only stood out from the crowd because a bunch of strangers planned their teaching practice lessons, interview lessons and NQT observed lessons for them.
    How on earth did us oldies survive before the internet?

5. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I quite agree.
    How kind and thoughtful for the 2nd poster to reply in such detail, effectively giving the OP a lesson that may well clinch them the job, despite them having no input into its planning nor creation. I'd suggest a reasonable portion of the OP's first year's salary, paid directly into the 2nd poster's bank account might be ample payment
    I'm increasingly wondering how anyone managed anything before the internet.

6. I'm really sorry! I didn't know it was a no-no to help people out in such detail (can you tell I'm new to all this!!), can I remove the post? I totally agree that if it were to clinch someone a job that it would be wrong that their own creativity hasn't been harnessed. I'm afraid I'm the sort of person who hapily shares their ideas but you are quite right that in these circumstances people should think for themselves!
    Although I do quite like the idea of getting a proportion of the salary! [​IMG]

7. cariad2

cariad2 New commenter

No need to apologise at all - you were just trying to be helpful.
    There is a new edit button, but it's only live for about 2 minutes after you've posted (helps when you realise that you've made a typo). Moderators will remove posts if requested, but that's generally only for offensive posts.
    Lots of posters do respond to these kind of requests, but there are plenty of other posters (myself included) who feel that people ought to make a bit of effort to think of their own ideas first rather than expecting to have everything handed to them on a plate.

PS Don't forget that you can always add resources to the TES Resource Bank if you're a sharing kind of person.