1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with life after levels

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by Bonnie23, Oct 16, 2016.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

Our school has moved away from levels and honestly I'm not sure if it's better or worse.

But basically I'm wondering if people have different ways students can reach different 'levels'.

We basically just use words instead of levels but they're the same thing!

I teach a creative subject and some students have fantastic designs that are beautifully presented and look amazing while I have other students that can't draw to save their lives but they've thought about their design in such detail and know about it technically.

Has anyone else had this problem before? Some students as hard as they try just can't sketch and I was wondering if I could have something like a 'two different lanes to meet this level' sort of thing.

Really interested to hear responses! Thank you!

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

You need to discuss this with a subject specific teacher. Ideally, I think you need to work alongside a colleague doing standardisation/moderation/cross-marking. Your uncertainty in this area comes across in lots of your posts and I think you need to address it.

3. Bonnie23

I'm sorry but this is a completely different post, how has it got anything to do with my previous posts?
    Also I'm the only one that teaches this subject. Hence reaching out to others.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  4. Bonnie23

I'm sorry if I come off offended but I kind of am. I'm going through a lot of personal stuff right now and it's not anything I want to share with colleagues that I've really only just met, and when I'm trying to get help to stay in my job because I love teaching I find your post a bit unncessary.

5. MissHallEnglish

MissHallEnglish Occasional commenter Forum guide and community helper

Could you reach out to colleagues in other local schools and arrange a visit/some CPD? Could you ask your CPD lead at school to keep a look out for some relevant courses for you? When you say words, are you talking about 'secure' or 'above expected'? If so, I know a lot of schools have gone down this route, personally as an English teacher, I find this very wishy-washy!

Failing any of that, have a think about how you want to mark. Could you mark against 'technical' criteria and 'effort & design' criteria? How you'd go about that, I'm not quite sure - perhaps using some ART or DT (not sure on your subject) GCSE criteria? Link it to assessment objectives?

Have you tried posting this in the relevant subject forum? There may well be more support available in there.

minnie me likes this.
  6. Cooperuk

Cooperuk Senior commenter

Hah...we don't have anything in place. Last HT used 'quintiles' but these were abandoned with nothing in place as an alternative by the new HT.

Now we have been asked to start filling in report data but have no ideas what or how.

Such fun!

7. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

There are subject specific forums here but really you need to talk to others in real life with examples of work in front of you. If there's nobody in school then perhaps contact other schools or even your exam board.
    I'm sorry if I've offended you. I just think this is really causing you stress and if you could build your experience and confidence it would make your life much easier.

8. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Only in schools in the UK would something that most people understood be replaced with...........nothing much

Its so **** it makes me smile

I've had so many conversations with other staff members here about it and had all sorts of responses.,

9. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

Actually replaced with nothing ;)

Levels weren't perfect, and probably needed to be updated from time to time. But to get rid of them and not put anything in place instead is crass stupidity.

SLouise91 likes this.
  10. wanet

wanet Star commenter

Sorry, but i have yet to meet anyone who understood levels. Getting rid of them was very sensible. Perhaps it helps if you taught before levels. It wasn't a problem then, can't see why it should be now.

11. emerald52

emerald52 Star commenter

Work from the gcse spec for your subject. They will have a marking scheme that can be simplified for KS3.