1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help with letter of application

Discussion in 'English' started by ejones90, May 11, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I need some help. I am a PGCE student trying to get jobs anywhere in the south west. Recently three jobs came up local schools, including my old school. I applied for all three only to find out I have not been shortlisted for any of these. I made sure I tailored the letter and application to each school, reading their website and really getting across what I am all about. I don't understand why all three rejected me on the same day as I recently had an interview at a school in Cornwall who praised my application for its strength and detail and I feel I implemented this into my applications.

Some of my friends on my course got all 3 interviews and this whole situation is completely depressing me. the truth is I know I am a good teacher. I care about teaching but more importantly I care about my students. I just feel like people never recognise what I can do. I am 7 weeks away from completing the course but i don't think i can find the inner strength to carry on because i dread that i will never get a job.

Obviously the money plays a massive part in why i want a job but its more than that. my dream is to inspire, engage, challenge my students and I don't want that dream to slip away.

How can i make my application stronger and find that strength to carry on?

A very troubled Emma.

2. Hi all,

I need some help. I am a PGCE student trying to get jobs anywhere in the south west. Recently three jobs came up local schools, including my old school. I applied for all three only to find out I have not been shortlisted for any of these. I made sure I tailored the letter and application to each school, reading their website and really getting across what I am all about. I don't understand why all three rejected me on the same day as I recently had an interview at a school in Cornwall who praised my application for its strength and detail and I feel I implemented this into my applications.

Some of my friends on my course got all 3 interviews and this whole situation is completely depressing me. the truth is I know I am a good teacher. I care about teaching but more importantly I care about my students. I just feel like people never recognise what I can do. I am 7 weeks away from completing the course but i don't think i can find the inner strength to carry on because i dread that i will never get a job.

Obviously the money plays a massive part in why i want a job but its more than that. my dream is to inspire, engage, challenge my students and I don't want that dream to slip away.

How can i make my application stronger and find that strength to carry on?

A very troubled Emma.

3. mediadave

mediadave New commenter

It could be a coincidence. If you've already had an interview somewhere then your letter must be okay. Perhaps the schools were looking for someone who could offer media or drama as well as English. Jobs are competetive and every school is looking for something or someone different.
    If you're this close to the end of your course you'd be foolish to pack it all in now. You probably shouldn't post your letter on a public forum but if you send me a direct message with the body of it then I'll give you some feedback if you like.

4. seaviews

seaviews New commenter

I'm a head of dept in the south west of England and we recently got over 100 applications for one teaching job. It seems lots of people from all over the UK want to come to live and work here. Competition is very high at the moment - I've never seen anything like it. Virtually any one of the 100 people who applied for this job would have been suitable and it was very difficult to shortlist.
    My advice is make sure that you don't send the same letter of application for every job. Each job is different and each will have particular things they are looking for. Tailor your letter to each school. Focus totally on the job descripton/advert/job spec when applying. (tho from what you say it looks like you are already doing that, so I am no help at all !)
    Good luck!