1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with lesson content!! Pretty Please

Discussion in 'PSHE' started by andyh246, Jan 8, 2016.

1. andyh246

andyh246 New commenter

As part of our schools PSHCE curriculum all staff have to write one lesson. I have been left with the task of creating a lesson on;

'Students will learn about the potential tensions between human rights, British law and cultural and religious expectations and practices'

Does anyone happen to have a lesson with this title?? haha. On a more realistic note though, does anyone have some guidance as to what I could do? This doesn't really fall in to the remit of a PE teacher!

Many thanks!!

2. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

We used to do a lot of discussion activities using controversial topics by marking two parallel lines and having everyone stand between them as each discussion topic was introduced. The topic would have to be an yes/no sort of thing for example 'everyone that comes to the UK should speak English'

People would then move to stand behind the agree line or the disagree line - or if undecided they would stay in the middle.

The groups on the agree and disagree lines would then be allowed a few minutes to talk in their group and build some arguments to support their case.

Then they'd take turns presenting their arguments.

Throughout the discussion people could move freely to express any changes of opinion.

There's a lot more that can be done to encourage debating, stop people moving wherever their friends go etc. plus it's best to start with some light-hearted topics as a warmup - chocolate vs cheese etc.

You'd need to prepare some suitable discussion points and feed in the relevant considerations for the tensions between rights, law and culture and make a point of highlighting or noting them as they come up during the discussion but you could maybe adapt something like this to make for an active debate.

3. andyh246

andyh246 New commenter

Thank you, that's extremely helpful and has given me a central idea to base my lesson around!

thank you again.

4. thinkypublishing

thinkypublishing Occasional commenter

5. j_pink

j_pink New commenter

I created a lesson on Britishness and British Values after our school were visited by OFSTED. Would you like a copy if I have it? PM me your email address.