1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help with ks3 literacy

Discussion in 'English' started by staceymoody, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Hi, I do a small yr8 literacy group focusing on improving spelling/reading and we have been doing The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo as I could build in loads of comprehension and skills based work.

Does anyone have ideas of another book I could do next that has lots of scoop for written work as well as we are nearly finished this one and the kids loved it.

I was thinking The Boy in the Striped PJ's, but would welcome any suggestions?

2. Hi, I do a small yr8 literacy group focusing on improving spelling/reading and we have been doing The Butterfly Lion by Michael Morpurgo as I could build in loads of comprehension and skills based work.

Does anyone have ideas of another book I could do next that has lots of scoop for written work as well as we are nearly finished this one and the kids loved it.

I was thinking The Boy in the Striped PJ's, but would welcome any suggestions?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Several possibilities with Anne Fine ' Flour Babies','Madame Doubtfire' are good but there's quite a few aimed at older readers.
    Roald Dahl's 'Boy' is good as a piece of autobiographical writing.
    I also like 'The Turbulent Term of Tyke Tyler' for lower ability students -make sure the children don't read on ahead & spoil the surprise at the end! This is done both as a text & a play.
    There's really almost too much out there.