1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with kale

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by gargs, Aug 8, 2015.

1. gargs

gargs Star commenter

I've been told that lutein, which is found in kale, can help slow or prevent age related macular degeneration. This is a hereditary condition which my mum has so I'm quite likely to get it too. 10mg of lutein a day is the recommended amount - that's roughly 100g of kale.

So, what can I do to kale that is going to not make this seem like a punishment?!

2. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

I'd go to Holland and Barrett and buy lutein supplement. They're bound to sell it.

3. gargs

gargs Star commenter

That might be the best idea. Almost all the recipes I've found online include the phrase 'You won't even taste the kale' - hardly encouraging!

4. DogsareNOTstupid

DogsareNOTstupid New commenter

That made me laugh! I saw a thread on a poultry forum. Someone had grown lots of kale and didn't know what to do with it. People suggested just feeding it to the chooks. Other people suggested stir frying it with lemon and garlic. Someone suggested stir frying it with lemon and garlic and THEN feeding it to the chooks!

I chop it up very finely and add it to my porridge with chopped stir fried bacon, grated cheese and a poached egg on top. That's probably not for the faint hearted :)

5. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

6. sparklepig2002

7. sparklepig2002

8. sparklepig2002

9. sparklepig2002

Dogs-your porridge sounds......disgusting!!!!! (sorry)

10. gargs

gargs Star commenter

Thank you, Sparkles. Some of those recipes don't look too bad!

Dogs - I think I'll give your porridge a miss!

11. JTL

JTL Occasional commenter

I make a huge pot of soup. Butter, a few onions, a pepper, a few carrots, butternut squash, a couple of leeks perhaps, a little cumin, whatever is lurking in your fridge. Sweat the veg in the butter, add a couple of stock cubes, a few herbs, seasoning and water and simmer until cooked. I use a big bag of ready chopped kale from Asda. Then simply blitz it all, I find a stick blender the easiest and it saves washing up. The carrot sweetens the soup but it does end up a lovely green colour. A marrow produces a thicker texture. It tastes delicious.

12. rosaespanola

rosaespanola New commenter

I recently discovered baby kale in the salad section of my local supermarket - I don't know if it has the same lutein-containing properties as ordinary kale, or how widely available it is (I'd never seen or heard of it before) but it might be worth looking into as it would be a lot easier to eat as salad with whatever other meal you're having than trying to force cooked kale into everything! Until now I'd really despised kale in all its forms, I'd never had cooked kale that I could enjoy eating, but the baby kale was actually really nice.

13. silkywave

silkywave Lead commenter

I make soup for work. Kale, tin of tomatoes, stock cube, small amount of garlic (because I'm teaching) ! Don't think it has onion? I'll google it for the recipe.