1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with interview

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by LHuckett, Dec 4, 2015.

1. LHuckett

LHuckett New commenter

i have an interview for schools direct. As part of the interview I have to engage 15-30 year 4 children by telling a story. I wonder if anyone can recommend a good book for this. Any tips or advice welcome.
    Thanks

2. mandala1

mandala1 Occasional commenter

You do need to think this through for yourself - engaging groups of children with books will be a cornerstone of your professional practice. and you need to be able to do it.

3. LHuckett

LHuckett New commenter

Thank you for your reply.
    Obviously, I'm quite aware of this and am happy to do this task, I just thought someone might be able to recommend a good book they have used with this age group. I'm sure I can think it through for myself, but good advice is always welcome

4. mandala1

Don't choose 'Hungry Caterpillar' or 'Bear Hunt' because most other interviewees will.

5. Findlotte

Findlotte Established commenter

Go to a library and have a look at what's available? or what's being read at story time? Or go to Waterstone's and ask what their top seller is? or ask local schools....do your own research for your own career.

I agree with Mandala , the task isn't difficult, you're reading to children, but you need to be able to think of your resources/ideas yourself, in this case, an appropriate book.

6. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

For Year 4? I'd avoid Roald Dahl at interview with this age group, for the same reason.

LHuckett likes this.
  7. Kartoshka

Nowhere does it say that you have to read to children. Personally I'd be thinking outside the box for this task... how else can you tell a story other than by reading a book? That will instantly make you stand out from other interviewees (as long as you do it well, of course).

LHuckett likes this.
  8. LHuckett

LHuckett New commenter

Thank you so much for your replies, Kartoshka, you are absolutely right and I hadn't thought about the task in that way. You've got me thinking now...

Kartoshka likes this.
  9. mandala1

Oooops didn't see the yr 4 bit. Yes, Roald Dahl is best avoided too.

10. Kartoshka

Most people won't, even experienced teachers. That's why it will make you stand out! Good luck with your interview.

LHuckett likes this.
  11. LHuckett

LHuckett New commenter

Thank you