1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with interview lesson

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by Jonny_H, May 25, 2012.

1. Jonny_H

Jonny_H New commenter

Hey everyone,

I'm still doing my PGCE in 11-18 maths and have an interview on Thursday next week. The class I will be teaching during the interview is a Year 7 class with most working at level 7 and some level 8. My task is to teach proportion and unitary method. Does anyone have any ideas how best to approach this as I'm stuck for creative ways of teachiing this to them. Any help would be much appreciated!

Many thanks

Jon

2. If it takes 10 teachers 6 minutes to create a lesson on unitary method, how long will it take one PGCE student to create one for him/herself?

I always relish the thought that one day an interviewee will make a request like this on this forum, give a lesson, and then find that the lesson plan actually came from the person conducting the interview.

3. Jonny_H

Jonny_H New commenter

I'm just stuck for ideas.
    Next week is going to be so busy as I'm in the South and the interview is about 5 hours away in. I'm just really stuck for ideas about how to make it fun and engaging.

4. I always think proportion is a boring subject to teach. It is usually quite intuitive for most kids anyway. I usually resort to a jigsaw on dull tasks like this, with a differentiated element of course.

5. Y7 working at L7 and L8 WOW.

6. primenumbers

primenumbers New commenter

It is quite normal for a grammar if they do setting in year 7. A top set could all easily be on L7, not quite sure about a secure L8 though. We have mixed ability groups and some of our very best pupils can do certains level 8 questions. Need to make sure that you have plenty of challenging open ended extensions or you could link to direct/inverse proportion, unknown quantities where you have to set up equations or even simultaneous equations to solve them.