1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

help with interview lesson for year 12 group

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by moonlight35, May 18, 2011.

1. I am applying for a job and I need to deliver a 20 minutes lesson on 'popular culture'. I do think 20 minutes is very short and I am thinking what skill I should concentrate on. My instinct tell me speaking but I think that the group will be very shy towards me.
    I thought of doing some disection of a Spanish song with an interesting theme such as Bebe's songs have. Or perhaps inspire myself by looking at some old speaking cards and plan an activity around some of those.

Any suggestions?

2. I am applying for a job and I need to deliver a 20 minutes lesson on 'popular culture'. I do think 20 minutes is very short and I am thinking what skill I should concentrate on. My instinct tell me speaking but I think that the group will be very shy towards me.
    I thought of doing some disection of a Spanish song with an interesting theme such as Bebe's songs have. Or perhaps inspire myself by looking at some old speaking cards and plan an activity around some of those.

Any suggestions?

3. noemie

noemie Occasional commenter

Depends on the type of school. I had to do an AS lesson for my current job and chose to go the grammar/listening route, with a reading for homework. As you said, speaking can be tricky depending on the group, but if you have a lot of support ready just in case, no reason it shouldn't work (e.g. sheets with key phrases, etc).
    Just to give you an idea, we had to prepare a taster lesson for Y11 to entice them to our subject. I had a little "taboo" activity which fell absolutely flat on its face the first year I did it (kids froze, found the words too difficult, it killed off the lesson basically) but the second year, exact same activity and same words, worked a treat and was what the kids talked about in their feedback. In an interview I'd be cautious and keep speaking as a side-dish rather than main course!