1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with inset day!!!!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by scottishlaura1985, Oct 3, 2019.

1. scottishlaura1985

scottishlaura1985 New commenter

hiya folks!
    So I’ve been asked by a member of SLT to deliver a whole staff activity to begin to the next INSET day in a few weeks. She said because she comes into my lessons and the kids are engaged and energised she wants that energy to be brought into the staff learning space.

Now I teach drama which I love but I’m totally doubting my own ability and dread to think what some staff will think when I ask them to a dram activity!!!

Please can you advise me as to what you think the staff would be comfortable with and how far I should go?? I only need like 5 mins

Thanks in advance

Xxx

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I'm not a drama teacher, so I have no idea what sort of things you do, but I do remember we did a drama activity at the start of an inset day and it went down well (even if I can't remember what it was now), so have some confidence. Even if people don't particularly like it, it gives them an idea of the sort of thing you do.

scottishlaura1985 likes this.
  3. tb9605

tb9605 Established commenter

Do something practical that could be applied to any subject. For example, vocabulary games, as every subject has to teach subject-specific vocabulary: if teachers can see the practical application for their own subject that should ensure they see it as worthwhile.

As an English teacher, I was once asked to deliver a 5 minute CPD slot on how to correct students' grammar errors (you know, muddling up there/their/they're). I made it really interactive, but also practical. It was so popular I was asked to do it again the following year.