1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with ideas for stretching gifted and talent students in MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by villefranchoise, Jan 8, 2011.

1. HI Lindsay

We teach languages in mixed ability groups in KS3 and then set where timetabling allows in KS4. We went from setted groups to mixed ability and feel that this has had a positive impact on both the pupils and staff - no more dreading having the bottom set etc!

Some activities which I use which I feel challenge G&T kids (but are also accessible to the rest of the class are:

- spot the odd one out in the target language - as the possibilities are often endless
    - diamond ranking - where pupils rank activities / statements in order of preference through a discussion
    - providing them with verb chart (I downloaded a brilliant one for Spanish from the Internet) which allows them to extend their writing and speaking, as you can gradually point out the patterns as you teach the language. The writing my more able students are successfully attempting to produce after 1 term of Spanish in year 10 is very pleasing, and they are starting to take more risks and becoming familiar with how to conjugate verbs.

Hope this is useful!

2. We use the FLLA (Foreign Language Leaders Award) with G&T as an extra curricular club in year 9. We are also using the spelling bee with G&T in year 7. In KS4 we have just done ASSET intermediate writing with the most able in year 10 with the idea of doing ASSET advanced writing in Year 11. We do the BA Language Flag Award as an extra curricular club in KS4 to stretch and challenge the most able too.

Hope this helps

Vicki

3. Sorry about my poor spelling - I should have done this on my computer rather than my phone and I would have been able to see what I had written before posting.

4. spsmith45

spsmith45 New commenter

Hi
    I have taught in three schools. Setting has been the norm and it makes sense to me. It is the simplest and most effectiove way of allowing the brightest to be stretched.
    You can help eliminate "sink set" mentality by avoiding having a bottom set. You could even have a top set and then several parallel sets beneath it. Much depends on the nature of your intake and size of school.
    We currently set from Y9 and have a top set, second set and two parallel lower sets. Having a strong top set in good for producing A-level students.
    Steve