1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with History topic please?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by dagnabit, Jun 3, 2012.

1. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

My last topic this year is 'nature'. The kids have always really enjoyed it - we do tonnes of science and raise our own butterflies. We don't have to teach history every half term, we alternate/combine with geography as required. However my topic books are a bit geography heavy and I would like to squeeze some history in before summer. Has anyone taught any history linked to a plants/animals type theme? I was thinking of going down the famous person route perhaps?

2. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

My last topic this year is 'nature'. The kids have always really enjoyed it - we do tonnes of science and raise our own butterflies. We don't have to teach history every half term, we alternate/combine with geography as required. However my topic books are a bit geography heavy and I would like to squeeze some history in before summer. Has anyone taught any history linked to a plants/animals type theme? I was thinking of going down the famous person route perhaps?

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Charles Darwin?

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

The voyage of the Beagle?

5. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

I'd thought Darwin, but it's a catholic school and I got cold feet! I suppose I could concentrate on the botany...[​IMG]

6. Msz

Dig for Victory?
    Kew Gardens - Capability Brown?
    Gertrude Jeckle ?

7. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

You should demand consultation fees Msz! Off to have a good look at these. Cheers. [​IMG]

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Capability Brown would be fab...children could design a garden in his style. Maybe one in a seed tray or something like in village shows.

9. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

That this could occur gives me a chill.

10. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Don't sweat it Tafkam - it was said tongue in cheek [​IMG]. Sacked off History anyway and went with irrigation - they do tonnes of History in Year 2 so won't suffer for it.

11. Msz

You could still add a little history with Archemede's screw and Shaduf (Egypt)

12. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

Super idea - again!! [​IMG]