1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Geogebra

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lou1990lou, Jan 12, 2016.

1. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

Hello!

I'm getting really frustrated because I cannot find what I need... although it may just not exist which, if it is the case, is stupid!

I am using Geogebra to demonstrate the transformation of trigonometric functions. I have everything perfect except the asymptotes of y= tan(x).
    I have used the ListAsym function, I have tried just using the Asympotote commands but I either get nothing at all or I get one asymptote.
    I want the graph to show me the asymptote at all points. Ideally I would like it so I could plot the function of f(x) = tan(x) with the asymptotes automatically showing so that when I then use the sliders on h(x) =atan((bx + c)°) I then show them how the asymptotes would move too.

Anybody know how to fix my problem? Or if it is indeed fixable?

Thanks!!

2. colinbillett

colinbillett Occasional commenter

I gave it a shot, and like you, couldn't get a response, apart from an empty list. The help menu, online, says:
    Asymptote[ <Function> ]
    GeoGebra will attempt to find the asymptotes of the function and return them in a list. It may not find them all, for example vertical asymptotes of non-rational functions such as ln(x).
    So is tan a non-rational function? The asymptotes are vertical, so maybe what you are trying is not possible.

3. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Looking at the example a think what's really meant is transcendental function, rather than non-rational function. Like ln(x), tan(x) is indeed a transcendental function.

selbelle and colinbillett like this.
  4. KYP

KYP New commenter

Why not put them in as a sequence of vertical lines (transformed as necessary) using the sequence command. Something like Sequence[x=pi/2+k*pi, k,0,5,1] I will try to work out the transformations for you, if you want, but it's a bit late now! You may have sorted it out anyway, by now! Do use the GeoGebra forum - you usually get a quick, expert response there!

lou1990lou and colinbillett like this.
  5. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

Get in!!!
    I love it when I learn new things like this.
    I have managed to come up with the aymptotes using the sequence command and adapted it to allow them to translate when I translate tan(x) too! I just need to remember to have the asymptotes selected.

The command I used is:
    Sequence[x = 90 + k 180 - c, k, -3, 2, 1]

Where c is then horizontal translation.
    For anybody who may be interested I am willing to share the file, but for some reason TES won't allow me to upload it as it doesn't have a correct extension or something.
    As for asking on the Geogebra forum... I tried to sign up to do just that and it wasn't having any of it!

colinbillett likes this.
  6. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

f(x) = a tan((b x + c)°) + d

I have changed the sequence command to look like Sequence[x = 90 / b + k 180 - c + d, k, -3, 2, 1]

As the vertical translation and y-stretching has no impact on the placement of the asymptotes

7. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

Oops, made a mistake! the previous sequence would cause the transformed graph to cross over the asymptotes.

What seems to be the correct one is:
    Sequence[x = (90 + k 180 - c) / b, k, -3, 2, 1]

colinbillett likes this.
  8. KYP

KYP New commenter

Glad you've worked it out! It may be that nowadays you have to be 'accepted' as a real person on GeoGebra. Maybe if you try to upload the file onto GeoGebratube ('Share' on the File menu) you can log-in that way.