1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with general information

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by hiyalove22, Jan 26, 2016.

1. hiyalove22

hiyalove22 New commenter

Hi,

I am a while of yet even starting my teacher training yet, but I have to many questions and quite frankly my uni are absolutely awful when it comes to careers advice and ...... well, pretty much anything really.

I have a few questions about teaching however, I really don't know where to start in relation to getting information and was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction.

1. I need to apply for PGCE or SCITT towards the end of this year and I was wondering whether there is a clear preference for either of the courses?

2. When you finish your PGCE/SCITT are you guaranteed a job at the end?

3. Is it worth taking a PGCE in Secondary Ed (Psychology) - this is a new course being offered near to where I live. My degree is in Psychology and I enjoy the subject however, I am a mature student and I am looking for the course which will maximise my chances of employment
    - also if I did the PGCE in Psychology and there was no positions in that role, would I be able to take up a teaching role in a different subject?

I am really sorry to just list questions, but I really don't know where is best to turn, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You can also try the get into teaching website and they also have a telephone number for individual queries.

Firstly what do you want to teach- Psychology is not a secondary national curriculum subject so most opportunities are going to be in post 16 work either in school or college. If the PGCE provides QTS then you would need to offer other subject areas to make up a timetable - RE is a usual combination with an ology, as it is a KS3 and 4 subject.
    In theory with QTS you can offer any subject area but a school would look for someone trained to teach in a particular area.
    A bit of research you can do is to find out how many of the schools in your area do offer Psychology in the sixth form this will give you an idea of likely demand?

3. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Be aware that if you want to teach outside of England many countries only recognise the PGCE route.

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Q2. Absolutely not!