1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with GCSE marking

Discussion in 'English' started by MargieMarg, Jan 6, 2011.

1. As an NQT in English, I'm really chuffed to have just got my first term under my belt. I LOVE the job, and could quite happily do the teaching bit til the cows come home. My only problem is that I get really stuck with marking GCSE coursework and Mocks. My HOD is very supportive, and he's moderated some of mine, and vice versa. I don't want to keep going to him, asking if pieces of coursework look like a C or a B to him.
    Basically, I want to know, is there a course I could go on that guides NQT's through the assessment process of GCSE? Our school is with WJEC, and I know they offer a course as an intro to the new spec, which my HOD went on. Any advice gratefully received.

2. As an NQT in English, I'm really chuffed to have just got my first term under my belt. I LOVE the job, and could quite happily do the teaching bit til the cows come home. My only problem is that I get really stuck with marking GCSE coursework and Mocks. My HOD is very supportive, and he's moderated some of mine, and vice versa. I don't want to keep going to him, asking if pieces of coursework look like a C or a B to him.
    Basically, I want to know, is there a course I could go on that guides NQT's through the assessment process of GCSE? Our school is with WJEC, and I know they offer a course as an intro to the new spec, which my HOD went on. Any advice gratefully received.

3. As the process for marking varies so much depending on the board you are with, your best bet is to go on a course which is run by WJEC and which is aimed at teachers new to the spec. Look on their website, and don't worry: it's very hard the first time round but you'll quickly get learn to get a feel for a grade within a few paragraphs.