1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with GCSE Chemistry WJEC

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by HBly, Aug 18, 2019.

1. HBly

HBly New commenter

Hi
    Starting new post in September. Teaching Chemistry at GCSE ( WJEC ). Not taught Chem at this level for few years so need some help with the newest topics introduced from A level.

Any support that can be given will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

2. applecrumblebumble

applecrumblebumble Lead commenter

Probably better to post this on Science forum.

3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

If you've got yourself a new job but then need to go on a public forum to ask how to do it because nobody has offered to train you up, you need to ask yourself what sort of unsupportive establishment you have just committed yourself to.
    Sorry-not very productive of me.
    But certainly true.

4. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I haven't looked at the Welsh spec. AQA GCSE chemistry has no "topics introduced from A level "

5. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

I would suggest reading the spec carefully, followed by a look at the specimen and real papers.
    I would then list the topics I felt I needed to cover in more depth . I would then read a decent text book or revision guide, look at the appropriate pages in a GCSE workbook and download topic specific resources from websites such as this one.
    I might look at an A level book to get further background if I had kids who ask "what if" questions.
    At that point, I might talk to an experienced colleague and ask how they teach the topic or go on the science forum and ask for suggestions on a named topic.

6. install

install Star commenter

1 Get yourself on the training arranged by the Board.

2 Link up with other schools that do the Spec

3 Speak to your lm about training needed

4 Use twitter for ideas

5 Ask for Dept Spec and SoW so you are consistent with your approach

SundaeTrifle likes this.
  7. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

Possibly, if the new school knew that the OP wasn't up to speed with the GCSE specification. I would assume that a new appointee would ask if they were not sure.

8. hisir

hisir New commenter

Look at the course spec and teacher guidance documents on the WJEC website; the spec is incredibly detailed and the guidance for teaching has clear pupil outcomes on it.
    You will also find a wealth of resources on TES. Good luck!