1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Functional Skills

Discussion in 'Further Education' started by garnar_uk, Sep 12, 2012.

1. Hey,
    I've just started a tutor position teaching functional skills english and maths (L1) to apprentices of hair and beauty and SOCA. I feel a little out of my depths since I have been given no guidelines of where to go with my lessons. I only have the standards that they must meet.
    Can anyone help me with any schemes of work or links to lesson plans (since I must adapt my lessons in order to make it relevant for each group).

I must admit I am struggling since I do not know how I can teach english and math for 3 hours a week based on hairdressing, beauty and football training.

Can anybody help??

2. Which board are you using?
    I have a framework which gives a suggestion of what to cover, but it is built round the assessment opportunities of the board we use which I can send you if you send me a PM with your email address. I also teach to football apprentices and hairdressing students but to be honest I only contextualise in the most general of terms as the assessment isn't contextualised so too much time in class spent in the vocational theme can throw a lot of students off!

3. aw27

aw27 New commenter

I have a one scheme of work (generalised, not with links to anything inparticular) for maths and English, from E3 up to L2. It's split into 12 lessons of about 1 1/2 hours for each subject, it's only an embellished list, effectively but gives you an order for coverage. I have another one for English only for E3 and L1 which is based on 10 three hour lessons. PM me if a copy of either would be of any use to you.

4. Hi

I hope you don't mind me writing to you , but I have the same issue as Posted by: garnar_uk 12/09/2012 ,I've also just started a tutor position teaching functional skills english and maths level 1 & 2 and you offer of sending a generic SoW.
    You say you have
    ' one scheme of work (generalised, not with links to anything inparticular) for maths and English, from E3 up to L2. It's split into 12 lessons of about 1 1/2 hours for each subject, it's only an embellished list, effectively but gives you an order for coverage. I have another one for English only for E3 and L1 which is based on 10 three hour lessons. PM me if a copy of either would be of any use to you.'

Well I would love to see this , if you would be able to get me a copy, that would be wonderful.
    My email is susan.clay114@gmail.com

Thank you

5. Hi
    I am course manager for Functional Skills English (FE college) and deliver on a course that gives teachers and Vocational Lecturers the skills to develop resources, and how to embed FS in their lessons.
    I would be more than happy to help, or share some SOW and resources, as I completely understand how daunting it is if it's new to you! I have also picked up some WBLs this year- 1 hour a week and 17 in one lesson!!

6. Hi and thank you I would be really grateful for some of your SOW and / or resources ,if it is possible can you send them to
    susan.clay114@gmail.com.

thenk you

7. Hi I am teaching City & Guilds FS English and Maths Levels 1 and 2 and would appreciate help with SOW to see if am on the right track.
    Many thanks

8. My email is skytraining@hotmail.co.

Cheers

9. I have sent a SOW to your email addresses but I don't think the last one worked!

10. Hi, I am sorry to jump on the bandwagon, but I would find it invaluable to have an insight into your SoW for Functional English ! I am going to be teaching this in October, but it's so difficult trying to organise all my topics/ideas into a workable format.
    Yours optimistically and appreciatively
    Lisa

11. Is there any chance I could have copies of you SOW for the 10 lessons ???
    I am in the same postition - been told to deliver FS for childcare apprentices and not sure where to start

12. Hello,
    I would appreciate a copy of your SOW if possible please.
    I am teaching Hair and Beauty students
    thank you

13. Hi
    I am more than happy to share SOW..need email addresses so feel free to inbox me.
    I always start with reading as the majority of learners cannot distinguish between text types, puposes etc so get them in to texts as soon as possibe.
    For the WBL, I do the same but focus more on the exam techniques associated with FS- because of time.

14. Hi
    I am happy to share my ICT and Maths SOWs as I can't post them without company permission. My English one is not great so I use someone elses - can't post this without asking!
    Leave me a message on here and I'll forward them.

15. Hell! I am teaching FS English Level 1 YOI in Littlehey HMP and I would be most grateful if you could E-Mail me your scheme of work and a SOW. That would be fantastic.My E-mail is
    jogonzalez@hotmail.co.uk
    Many thanks in advance and I look forward to hearing from you.
    with kind regards
    joe Gonzalez

16. Hiello ! I would be really grateful for some of your SOW and / or resources for English Literacy Level 1,if it is possible can you send them to :
    jogonzalez@hotmail.co.uk

Thanking you in advance for your kindness I am looking forward to hearing from you
    Regards
    Joe gonzalez

17. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

Hello, I am currently working as an Assessor (I used to teach so getting used to delivering in the workplace rather than the classroom) I recently started delivering Functional Skills instead of Key Skills. As my learners are met in the workplace and due to the funding constraints and end dates, I am trying to find an effective way of supporting my learners with Functional Skills.
    My company only have a link for practice tests but I feel that I should be able to offer some additional support or resources for them. Does anyone have any suggestions of anything I could use?
    Thank you

18. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

They will need more than just practice tests as many have to actually learn how to do the maths or ICt required since most managed to escape school without gaining/retaining this knowledge. There are loads of resources freely available on the internet covering all maths topics including powerpoints to introduce topics and worksheets. ICT tutorials are also freely avaiable. I would suggest spending some time building a collection of resources both paper and digital for your learners. Dont forget good old Bitesize and Skillswise too. My sessions are usually a mix of input on a topic, supported working to practice skills and practice papers. There is a lot to cover and it is very hard in the workplace.

19. Hiya,

I know this an old thread but I have taught FS for some time across all levels.

I hope the role is going well....Nobody seems to have mentioned the official government guidlines...it is basically a SOW all in one....it is OFQUAL. It tells you exactly what needs covering on each level.

I have lots of sows and resources if you need them:- dstratford@sussexcoast.ac.uk

Dan [​IMG]