1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with fish please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by angiebabe, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Smoked haddock with a poached egg on top with asparagus or green beans. Mmmm. make that 2 poached eggs

2. bombaysapphire

bombaysapphire Star commenter

This is our current household favourite from the new Simon Hopkinson book. Easy, healthy and delicious:
    Simon Hopkinson's Salmon in Spinach

Fry shallot in 20g of butter in casserole style pan with tight lid
    Add 3tbsps vermouth
    Add 100g of spinach
    Add 2 salmon fillets
    Add another 100-200g of spinach on top
    Grate on nutmeg and add another 20g of butter in small pieces on top.
    Put on lid and steam on low heat for 7mins. Take off heat and leave for another 7-10mins with lid on.
    Remove salmon and reduce the liquid with the spinach on a high heat.

3. This is a recipie that my mum gave me ages ago. It's really easy, healthy and it tastes great!
    Mediterranean Fish casserole
    2 tbsp olive oil
    2 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
    2 red onions, sliced
    1/2 level tsp paprika
    2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into strips
    100ml dry white wine
    2 x 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
    1 level tbsp sun dried tomato paste
    salt & ground black pepper
    700g (1.5 lbs) skinless firm white fish (cod, haddock, halibut, monkfish - the choice is yours!), cut into large bite size pieces
    125g (4oz) black olives, pitted and cut in half
    - Heat the oil in a shallow flameproof casserole (TBH, I just use a saucepan!), then stir in the garlic & onions. Cover and cook gently for about 10 mins.
    - Add the paprika and the peppers and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add the wine and bring to the boil. Turn down to a simmer and bubble to reduce the liquid by half.
    - Add the tomatoes and tomato paste, then season. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer uncovered for 15 mins. Add the fish and simmer for 10 mins until just cooked. Stir in the olives and serve with rice.
    - I find that if you add a scant teaspoon of brown sugar with the tomatoes, it enhances the flavour.

4. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Smoked mackerel and orange couscous salad is amazing!