1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with fish please

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by angiebabe, Jan 20, 2012.

1. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I am really trying to eat more healthily by using less meat and more fish. Unfortunately I have only a few tried and tested ideas:-
    1. Fish pie - cod/river cobbler, haddock, prawn etc in white/cheese sauce topped with mash and corn to accompany
    2. Baked salmon with some 5spice added to stir fry veggies with chilli & ginger, with noodles.
    3. Baked salmon/poached smoked haddock with dill/other herbs with new potatoes and corn.
    4. New edition - baked sea bass with chirizo (except I couldn't find chirizo so substituted pepperoni!) with bean mash (cannellini beans) and sugar snap peas.
    I really could do with some more inspiration. I know you guys with help me out here. Its the accompaniments that I also want to vary.
    Thanks.

2. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I am really trying to eat more healthily by using less meat and more fish. Unfortunately I have only a few tried and tested ideas:-
    1. Fish pie - cod/river cobbler, haddock, prawn etc in white/cheese sauce topped with mash and corn to accompany
    2. Baked salmon with some 5spice added to stir fry veggies with chilli & ginger, with noodles.
    3. Baked salmon/poached smoked haddock with dill/other herbs with new potatoes and corn.
    4. New edition - baked sea bass with chirizo (except I couldn't find chirizo so substituted pepperoni!) with bean mash (cannellini beans) and sugar snap peas.
    I really could do with some more inspiration. I know you guys with help me out here. Its the accompaniments that I also want to vary.
    Thanks.

3. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Soup
    Stew
    Curry
    With pasta
    Herb-stuffed and baked whole fish
    Barbecued whole fish (esp mackerel...yummm)
    White fish fillets baked with tomatoes and garlic with breadcrumbs
    En papillote
    En croute
    All rough ideas, really. Can give more specific recipes if you wish.

4. Bethannie

Bethannie New commenter

En papilote is a favourite of mine - quick, easy and healthy!

in addition to Nick's suggestions:
    Sardines simply grilled with tomates on toast.....or anchovies on toast mmmmm
    Kedgeree
    Pickled/Marinated - a nice Rollmops or Brathering.
    White fish fillet wrapped around leeks (and cheese if you want!) and baked.

Go for a good variety - oily fish, white fish and seafood.

Don't forget that homemade fishcakes can use up the scraps of fish - as well as tasting infinitely better than the frozen supermarkey variety.

5. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

Monkfish tail or cod loin spread with red pesto then wrapped in parma ham and baked.
    Salmon or cod spread eith freen pesto, topped with a mis of parmesan and breadcrumbs and baked.
    Tiger prawns, monkfish and avodaco slices baked in a cheese sauce (this is really yummy).

6. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Seafood lasagne
    Fish and chips (you can do this in the oven to make it healthier!)
    Fish stew
    Fishcakes
    Fish curry
    Paella

7. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

These are all great ideas. I think I will copy and paste them so that I can have a look at them each week and have a go.
    Thank you all so much.
    Might just try one of them tonight but not sure which yet!!! Too much choice now[​IMG]

8. modelmaker

modelmaker Occasional commenter

A friend of mine told me he'd eaten some battered smoked haddock and chips in one of our local pubs. He said it was absolutely delicious.

9. I am "afraid " of fish because of cooking times. Nothing terrible happens with an overcooked casserole or veg curry but fish is expensive and scary!

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

If you're making a curry or casserole of fish, only put the fish in right at the very end. Everything else should be completely cooked. And then only cook very gently and only for a few minutes, especially is fish is cut up.
    Undercooked fish is fine, remember.

11. I know it's not a health hazard but undercooked fish like overcooked fish is unpleasant. I bought some expensive monk fish and cooked it wrapped in parma ham. It was sort of raw and horrible...put me off.

12. BelleDuJour

Fish finger sandwich!!!
    Yes, cheating but delicious! [​IMG]

13. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

14. Si N. Tiffick

Si N. Tiffick Occasional commenter

Has to be on white sliced cotton wool bread, with mayo on the bottom slice and ketchup on the top slice! Ooohh. I wonder if there are any fish fingers lurking in my freezer?

15. angiebabe

angiebabe New commenter

I was inspired by you guys tonight so I cooked the following:-
    Garlic, onion, yellow pepper, mushroom fried with some dried parsley.
    Added tin of tomatoes + oregano & basil (dried)
    Placed river cobbler into pan and covered.
    Meanwhile, cooked green beans to add to the tomato at the end of cooking
    Couscous - small amount of curry stock cube and boiling water
    When fish was cooked I placed on top of couscous with tom sauce.
    Just delicious.
    Must say that I cooked baby spinach to add at the end but completely forgot!!!
    Thanks for all your suggestions.

16. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Sounds ace. Well done you.
    I don't mind fish a bit underdone...infinitely preferable to over.

17. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Maverick, I know, but have you ever considered a couple of slices of crisp bacon in your fish finger butty?
    You'll never look back, I promise.

18. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

Or a layer of chip shop chips...now I really want a fish finger sandwich!

19. recipe one

1 mackerel - fairly cheap
    1 mango 1 tin pineapple
    put the chopped mango and pineappl inside the fish
    wrap in foil and bake
    recipe 2
    rice (whatever your facorite i like brown basmatti)
    any kind of fish but I tend to use smoked
    put the fish and rice in a pad and add a mixture of orange juice and water - cook until the liquid has evaporated

20. BelleDuJour

sashh...............try as I might I just cannot imagine what smoked fish and orange would taste like. I might be wrong but fruit and smoked fish just don't seem to work together and I can't find any recipes where they do. Not mango/pineapple and fish. Just seems.....wrong!
    I have had gooseberry with fresh (not smoked) mackerel, and would hve a pineapple and chilli salsa with something like swordfish or tiger prawns but I just cannot get my head around your ideas! Maybe I'll try them one day.