1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Drama Teacher interview?

Discussion in 'Drama and performing arts' started by ClaireYaxley, Mar 17, 2009.

1. <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td class="post">I'm a current PGCE student on placement. There is job going for a Drama/English teacher here, but my PGCE is in English. My mentor is keen for my to apply and the headteacher has told me I'll be a very strong candidate, but although I really want the job and I know that I may have a slight advantage through being on placement here, I'm worried that my lack of Drama knowledge and experience will let me down.
    I studied Drama/Theatre Studies to AS level and Perfomance Studies to A level. I'm pretty much an amateur performer in my own right. My problem is that I don't know much about the Drama curriculum or syllabus or what plays are good to study at any key stage.
    My question is - what should I brush up on? What questions can I expect them to ask? What plays/playwrights should I know of? Our PGCE tutor gave us a list of interview questions for English so that we could practise, but he can't help me with the Drama side.

Thank you in advance!
    </td></tr></table>

2. <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0"><tr><td class="post">I'm a current PGCE student on placement. There is job going for a Drama/English teacher here, but my PGCE is in English. My mentor is keen for my to apply and the headteacher has told me I'll be a very strong candidate, but although I really want the job and I know that I may have a slight advantage through being on placement here, I'm worried that my lack of Drama knowledge and experience will let me down.
    I studied Drama/Theatre Studies to AS level and Perfomance Studies to A level. I'm pretty much an amateur performer in my own right. My problem is that I don't know much about the Drama curriculum or syllabus or what plays are good to study at any key stage.
    My question is - what should I brush up on? What questions can I expect them to ask? What plays/playwrights should I know of? Our PGCE tutor gave us a list of interview questions for English so that we could practise, but he can't help me with the Drama side.

Thank you in advance!
    </td></tr></table>

3. How much drama would it include and to what level? If it's KS3 stuff I would think you'd have a pretty good chance. If they want someone to tech on the GCSE it'll be a little harder I'd have thought.
    Good books/resources to look at:
    Progression in Secondary Drama - Kempe and Ashwell
    Jonathan Neelands books
    Teaching Drama magazine though I don't know whether that's easily accessible.
    Ken Taylor's website
    The Schemes of Work on here
    I think that would probably give you a good start just to get the feel of it. If you're on placement in a school at the moment could you ask the drama teacher if he/she has anything you could look at or a lesson you could observe?

4. All of the Rhinegold 'Teaching Drama' publications are excellent. It really does depend on what percentage of Drama you will be teaching. If you will be teaching GCSE then I'd advise brushing up on the specification you would be teaching. I know that AQA will certainly be teaching a new spec next year so have a look at those.

Good luck!!

5. twigtwig

twigtwig New commenter

I'd go and talk to the Head of Drama and be open in the fact you are interested in the post and want to know more about the sorts of things they do in Drama....maybe pop in and watch a lesson....talk to the kids about what drama is like at the school.

In interview they may well ask about how drama fits into the curriculum and how you would manage a class in a different enviroment......which it is if you haven't experienced it try it out. Think about transferable skills between the subjects and across the whole school.....I would speak to the Head of drama or another drama teacher at your school though.......just be honest and think about what skills you bring to the post...good luck

6. The job would involve teaching KS3 and KS4.

I've been given a year 7 Drama group to teach once a week.

My mentor is the Head of Drama and since he would be doing the interviews so wouldn't it be a conflict of interest for him to help me out?

You've all been very helpful, thank you.

What kind of Drama specific questions should I expect to be asked?

7. *thinks:
    how about:
    how would you encourage a child who does not want to perform?
    how would you help children with SEN in your lessons?
    how would you encourage G&T to progress in your lessons?

I can't think of anything else at the moment, but good luck!

8. hoj

hoj

Other things they may ask you...
    Why is Drama taught? Where do you think it sits within the school curriculum?
    What could you contribute to our extra curricular provision?

Good luck! And try to get in as many observations as poss!

9. your mentor will cover interview questions (general ones with the entire group) during one (or more) of the mentor sessions. you will also have a slot for subject specific interview questions - in your case english and drama. it's not a conflict of interest. it's part of your training. get busy around that school and good luck. :)

10. teachur

teachur New commenter

The best thing to do would be to get trianing in teachign drama - and perhaps this could be a question you ask in interview.
    Knowledge about drama is one thing, training to TEACH it is very different. The fact that you have done a PGCE in English and did A-Level standard Drama/Theatre, is not really the point - the pedagogy of drama teaching is complex and highly skilled.
    SO...you can show your value of the subject in interview by actually showing your interest and couple of ideas, but also a desire to seek further training. A teacher with interest in their own CPD is alsys a good sign!