1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with data, HoD interview in a 6th form - what is ALPS?!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by specialchild, May 12, 2013.

1. Dear all,

As part of an interview process for a HoD role I have been asked to look at some data that includes ALPS scores. I have not come across these before (I'm currently in FE and last time I worked in a sixth form they did not exist). I wondered if anyone could give me a bit of information and help on them? For example is an A level course showing an ALPS 2011 score of 8 doing well or badly?! What is an average / benchmark score? I also have some 3 year data scores, which again currently mean nothing to me - is a three year score of 878 (same course) good or bad? In comparison I also have and AS level course showing a 2011 score of 2 and a 3 year score of 245.

My google searches are not turning up much of use in the way of a basic overview of what ALPS scores refer to and how they are generated... now give me success data and I'm fine!

Many thanks for any guidance.

Tanya

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Well, tanya, that DOES take me back! I used to use ALPS when I was Vice Principal in a Sixth-Form College.

It stands for A Level Prediction Service, and is a rival (cheaper) system to ALIS. It was started by some college up in Huddersfield - Green-something College - look it up!

But I cannot remember what the different things mean - you are bound to find out more via the College.

Now here is some general advice about interviews.

Firstly go to the Welcome thread here on the JobSeekers Forum, and read the general advice in the two Interview clickables. One of these includes questions - but don't go learning answers off by heart!

And then read this general advice about doing an observed lesson.

Do read this thread too, about Child Protection at interviews.

And the thread with the famous Middlemarch mind mapping in it.

These should give you the basic tips and advice for really showcasing all your skills in that interview.

We look forward to you starting a new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!

<h1>NEW!</h1>
    I have started writing Blogs - have a look, click on the BLOGS at the top

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

3. mrsbrassington

mrsbrassington New commenter

ALPS stands for Advanced Level Performance System