1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Course content - learning theory

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Toomuchtooyoung, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Toomuchtooyoung

Toomuchtooyoung Occasional commenter

Thought I'd post this here as although I'm developing a course for adults, there are lot's of people here with knowledge of learning theory.
    I've got PGCE PTTLS and Level 4 in the subject I'm to teach. I'm writing a L2, possibly L3 course for adult learners for an Ofqual qualification, ie the outcomes are there but I have to write my own content. One of the aspects covered is how people learn. In all of my education, which is the last 10 years, I have been taught about learning styles, multiple intelligences, etc. As I'm a bit geeky and love to read around stuff and whilst I still have access to journals online I know that all the research debunks this stuff as a myth.
    My dilemma is what do I teach in it's stead, I've read about dual coding which seems interesting, and I've done a lot of research about mathematics learning and the process children have to go through to grasp abstract concepts, which seems pretty common sense. It's difficult to discern the fads and fashions from the reality. Think Bruner still remains strong. Any ideas ?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter