1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with conic transformations

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by mostlymaths, Sep 19, 2018.

1. mostlymaths

mostlymaths New commenter

Hello - helping someone here can help my stupid brain.
    I was looking at rotations for the first time today and the new spec text book just gives the rules. I decided to look at some graphs to see if I could show the students, when introducing the idea, how these rules were formed. So for a parabola in form of y^2 = kx, if we rotate by 90 degrees clockwise the coordinate rule is that (x,y) becomes (y, -x). However the book says that when transforming the equation x is replaced by -y and y by x. I graphed some examples on Autograph and this rule is correct. Now I'm aware that I'm probably missing something really simple but can someone explain the link between the coordinate rule and the rule for transforming the equation. For once google has proved fruitless :-(

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

By convention, rotations of axes are anticlockwise. That particular coordinate rule is just a quick & dirty way of finding the address of a point following a -270° rotation, performing no actual rotation itself.

3. MathsMum5

MathsMum5 New commenter

Okay - thanks - so I'm looking for a connection that is not there!