1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with choosing colours for capsule wardrobe

Discussion in 'Personal' started by pepper5, Jul 24, 2015.

1. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

I am hoping someone will be able to advise me concerning what colours I could mix and match in connection with suits for work.

When school starts back I need to buy some new clothes for work and would like to buy two jackets and two pairs of trousers that I can mix and wear with one another and with shirts, blouses and cardigans.

The colours for the blouses and shirts will be reds,purples and pinks and creams.

I like charcoal grey for one suit, but what should the second suit be? Could it be a pin stripe or check?

Any advice gratefully received.

G

2. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

Try this:

www.colourmebeautiful.co.uk/colouring-questionnaire

I had a session with one of their people a few years ago and it changed my buying habits completely. Some colours I never wear any more and some colours I didn't use to wear are now my favourites. I became much better at putting things together and got a lot of compliments when I started doing it.

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Inky is quite correct you need to see which is your own 'best basic colour'.

Many continentals tend to base their wardrobes on blacks, greys and navies( and there are many different greys and navies believe me). Then in summer either white, stone, cream or camel.

Any of those are possibilities might be possible. Personally I would look at some type of navy, most would go with reds, purples, pinks and creams.

Like Inky my mother treated me to a colour session one birthday and it does help to see which shades of colours do/do not suit you. Basically try some colours (scarves are a good choice) up against your face. Colours which are good will 'light up your face and you will see your face rather than the colour. Shades which do not will show any lines more and you will notice the colour more than you. So if you want to see which shade of navy/grye etc hold up a selection in front of a mirror and see the difference.

If like me you're a 'Spring' personality a blue-green 'teal' might also be a good basic. Apparently teal is one colour which suits all colourings. Well according to CMB anyway.

4. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Thanks for your replies. I will definitely take a look at CMB.