1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with buying books for ITT

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by ashtonoaj, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am due to start my Initial Teacher Training in September this year and the university seems to be struggling to send me a reading list. There are reading lists for PGCE, but I'm doing BEd and I'm not sure if it will be entirely the same.
    Are there books that are 100% essential for anyone doing a BEd course? I'm looking for a couple for each subject, as I've got a long summer ahead.
    Thanks in advance!

2. Hello,
    I am due to start my Initial Teacher Training in September this year and the university seems to be struggling to send me a reading list. There are reading lists for PGCE, but I'm doing BEd and I'm not sure if it will be entirely the same.
    Are there books that are 100% essential for anyone doing a BEd course? I'm looking for a couple for each subject, as I've got a long summer ahead.
    Thanks in advance!

3. Hi,
    I'm just finishing my first year of the BA Primary Education degree. I have managed the whole year without buying a single book as my uni's library is really well stocked and if you're organised you can usually get in and get the good books before they're all loaned out! (I'm at Christ Church in Canterbury)
    There is one book which I am planning to buy as I found it really useful for a variety of reasons, Professional Studies: Primary and Early Years (Achieving QTS) edited by K. Jacques and R. Hyland. As for subject specific books, there's a lot of choice out there and I've found it really comes down to personal choice i.e. some books are more word-heavy than others, some are split into smaller snippets of info etc.. I would definitely suggest waiting until you start uni and seeing which books you find most useful before actually buying any as I'm sure you've already discovered, these books don't come cheap!
    Hope this helps :)
    Lizzie.