1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with building a loudspeaker (class practical)

Discussion in 'Science' started by PinkHelen, Sep 3, 2019.

1. PinkHelen

PinkHelen New commenter

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can give me a bit of help with a loudspeaker class practical - at the moment I can get my class to build a basic loudspeaker, but I half-remember doing this on a course a few years ago and then linking it up to a radio and playing actual music through the one we'd built. It was pretty quiet but really impressive and I know the kids I teach would really love it...the problem is I don't have the "technical" knowledge of how to actually link the home-made loudspeaker to a radio to achieve this (I know it might be really simple, but it's not something I've needed before, so I just don't know!).

The method we use to make the loudspeaker is to cut a circle in a piece of card, put a flattened bun case in to the centre of this hole and sellotape it to the card in 4 places, sellotape a small coil of wire over the centre of the bun case and place small powerful magnets on either side of the coil of wire. Then, connect the two stripped ends of the coil of wire to a signal generator (which is attached to a loudspeaker) and the students can hear a sound played through their loudspeaker.

So the speaker we build works but I think I basically don't know the name of the type of cable we'd need to use to connect the two ends of wire from the speaker to the single "socket" (sorry this is probably the wrong word) that a "real" loudspeaker goes into in a radio, and so I don't know where to find/buy one. Any advice/answers?

2. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

It sounds like the speakers I've built in the past. Painful experience taught me that the best way of demonstrating them was with a signal generator.
    If you hook up to a headphone output from a radio, phone or mp3 player you will need an amplifier to get anything audible.

3. pipryan

pipryan New commenter

Buy a cheap set of earphones from 'pound shop' or similar with plug to suit your output device. Cut the cable in middle and strip back insulation on the jack plug (or usb) end, this will reveal two cores of cable (not strands) - connect one each up to speaker and away to go.