1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Bridesmaids Dresses

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nikkib_1986, Jul 1, 2012.

1. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

Hi all,
    I'm struggling to decide on a dress for my 2 adult bridesmaids to wear. The problem is that they are both very different. My sister is 5'7", fair skinned and fair haired and hates showing her legs. My best friend is of Indian origin so has dark hair and dark eyes, is only 4'11" and loves getting her legs out (think a longer style dress might swamp her too).
    Everyone keeps telling me that it's my decision but I can't decide!! I'm thinking of a teal/ turquoise/ aqua colour.
    Can anyone help solve my predicament?

2. If they're both going to get into it, may I suggest elastic?

3. Why not be unconventional and have each just wear a dress that suits them?
    You could have the flowers in complementary colours.

4. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Do they have to have the same dress? I know it's traditional but would it really matter? You could have your sister as your maid of honour and your friend as your bridesmaid.
    In all honesty, it's traditional for bridesmaids to wear long dresses. I'm sure your friend will look beautiful in a long dress so long as it's not too flouncy. After all, her traditional dress is presumably a sari which is long.

5. Choose a colour that suits them both and let them choose the style? I've always preferred this approach- adults in matching clothes creeps me out a little!

6. Me too.
    I had a maid of honour.
    And children as bridesmaids, but each of them in a different colour.

7. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Went to a family wedding recently whereone of the two adult bridesmaids found out she waspregnant and would be 7 months by the wedding. They tried to find some more material to at least match the colour but couldn't get it in time. So chose a different material, same colour, but with small floral pattern to detract from the volume, and obviously a very different syle of dress. They both looked 'matching' but suitable for their differing figures.
    Who says bridesmaids dresses have to be exactly the same? Teal is an ideal colour to co-ordinate it as it suits most skin/ hair colours!

8. If you are ordering from one of the shops that creates made to measure bridesmaid dresses (Expensive though!) you can have two different style dresses made up in exactly the same material/colour.

9. RKM

RKM

As you have your colour scheme in place would they both consider wearing a sari. It could be different. There are some lovely saris at the moment in those colours.

10. You could always get similar dresses and simply take the small girl's dress up a bit. I like teal.

11. For example, something like this could be shortened (if you like this dress, it's in ASOS, from Coast):

LINK

12. elisa1

elisa1 New commenter

Teal would look amazing!!! If you have a look at the "Forever Yours" range they have loads of styles but with the same colour scheme so you could choose the colour and let them pick the style

13. nikkib_1986

nikkib_1986 New commenter

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'd never really considered having them in 2 different styles but that could work. I really like the asos dress so thanks for that coffeekid!

14. GeeMarie

GeeMarie New commenter

I've told my bridesmaids what colour I want, and they've all just picked a dress. Some of them are wearing dresses they already own. Admittedly we are very much on a budget, but I know they like what they are wearing, look good in it, and in all honesty could wear it again for a different occasion, as they have chosen them, like them, suit them, and can do as they pelase with them.
    Works well. I'm not fussed by matching!

15. dozymare1957

dozymare1957 Occasional commenter

Coffeekid, that ASOS dress is gorgeous! How much is it?

16. I think it's £180.

17. Crowbob

Crowbob Lead commenter

For a dress [​IMG] My wife's wedding dress didn't cost that much....

18. Either did mine, but hey.

19. OP, something like this would be gorgeous on most sizes/heights and it's dead inexpensive. You could get two similar silhouettes in similar colours if you did your research, I'm sure.

OR - you could take a photo to a tailor/dressmaker and get them to replicate whatever dress you like. There are some very reasonably priced independent dressmakers out there.

20. Neither did mine but I've more money now and the dress in question was pretty.