1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with boy heavy class :-s

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by life2teach, Sep 15, 2011.

1. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

As the subject header says I have a (reception) boy heavy class (30 with a ratio 2:1!) and am looking for ideas to control them, keep them occupied etc
    Im slightly stressed out :-s
    :-(

2. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

As the subject header says I have a (reception) boy heavy class (30 with a ratio 2:1!) and am looking for ideas to control them, keep them occupied etc
    Im slightly stressed out :-s
    :-(

3. Msz

Msz Established commenter

No suggestions as I love boy heavy classes sorry

4. My boyfriend (and dad of three boys) always jokes boys are like dogs - keep them happy by running them and feeding them!!

Make sure the outside space is open as much as possible and is exciting and covers all areas of learning (especially mark making which is always hard to get boys to do!)

Choose your topics carefully, pulls elements put that the girls will enjoy but think if the boys interests first. E.g. Last year I did a castles and knights topic with my boy heavy class. The girls loved the princess aspect but a lot of our work was done about dragons, knights, ghosts in the dungeon, maps to find the dragons caves/ treasures. Really inspired the boys.
    We also did topics like explorers, space,pirates, toy story and dinosaurs

Boys liven up the class and make things more interesting
    Enjoy :)

5. Don't assume they will cause you problems! It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. You will have lots of different personalities along the continuum from boisterous and bolshy to gentle and sensitive, and that's just the girls!

6. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

they are causing me trouble :-s

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

You need to work out why they are causing you trouble is it the set up? organisation? rules not established?

8. life2teach

life2teach New commenter

I think its the lack of boy-focused activities. On the carpet they like the ICT I use for maths. The like PE and phonics but I need to make the table top activites more boy interesting as its during free flow that they act up. I do go through the rules daily.

9. Are you able to get them outside? Some boys (and girls) need lots of physical play, like it or not. Provide stuff outside that will engage them in problem solving eg gutters on stands to run into the water tray; numbered tyres to throw the balls into; football with score sheets; numbered bikes with numbered parking spaces; numbered cones; playground chalks for mark making (maybe marking out a train or bike track); den making; exploration and bug hunting. Think in terms of them using up all that energy in a positive way and then they may be able to sit still when you need them to. Think of floor activities rather than table-top - eg large blocks for building and making stepping stones; cars and road mats etc

10. In my boy heavy class we are starting a topic on dinosaurs and going to develop this into a dinosaur world led by the children. Getting the boys mark making to make a list of what is needed and their help in setting it all up gives them ownership and gets them excited about their learning. All the children are going to have their own dinosaur names eg Jackosaurus, Rubyasaurus etc and we are going to get the girls to design thier own girly dinosaurs and give them names. Like the writer above, you do have to get them learning outside with lots of good activities that are modelled. As for behaviour very clear expectations with loads of praise. My boys although full of energy seem real softies at heart and have totally fallen in love with my latest class puppet who struggles with his numbers. The puppet is really helping getting the boys motiated in learning numbers etc. A magic box with surprise elements nearby on the carpet works wonders too. Good luck

11. I really agree that the choice of focus/topic for the week is crucial to motivate and chanel the boys enthusisam and energy. Super hero and spy work is good, lots of using bits of films as starters for work.Lots of get up and move activities within a teaching time and take mark making and maths outside. Have you checked out
    http://profile.typepad.com/6p0134863096e6970c
    some great boy motivator ideas on there.