1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Assignment

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by rosieclark7, Oct 9, 2015.

1. rosieclark7

rosieclark7 New commenter

I've been struggling with ideas for my assignment ...... Help would greatly be appreciated.
    I need to ;

diagnose one child's literacy needs in writing

1) design do and evaluate an intervention

1) identification of skills/needs of pupil & design do and evaluate an intervention

2) explanation of activity/resource designed and its appropriateness

3) Evaluation of outcomes & recommendations of future practice

2. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

Well.... it seems you know what you have to do, given the way in which you have numbered your list. Depending on your course, it's just a matter of fulfilling each criterion. There is a lot of cross-over in that list though. To me it seems you have to:

(1) identify the individual child's skills and needs;
    (2) design an activity with a particular focus on the child's needs to make progress;
    (3) explain how the activity manages to fulfil the child's needs;
    (4) explain how the activity uses the child's previous knowledge (skills);
    (5) evaluate how well the activity performed for the child;
    (6) how you could improve the activity.

But that is just breaking down what you have.

Your starting place is the child and their needs in literacy. If you know the child, what their interests are, then you can create something appropriate for them. (Without knowing the child it's very much planning in a vacuum, which can be very bland and may make little sense for that child.)

The question I would ask is, and it is for you to answer to yourself rather than tell us here: who is the child?

3. Belle60_3

Belle60_3 New commenter

When I did mine, I found it easier to have a particular child I worked with in mind. Look at their skills and needs and base it around what you'd do with them.

4. rosieclark7

rosieclark7 New commenter

the child I have in mind has a good level of comprehension and is able to articulate his ideas very well. The problem is he struggles expressing himself through his writing across all subjects including literacy. The child can is a confident enough student but can easily lose any self belief and find it difficult persevere and overcome difficulty.

I was thinking of tackling the problem by introducing students to a variety of planning formats. Model how you plan and Not allowing pupils to begin extended writing without a plan of some kind.

5. OBakaSama

OBakaSama Occasional commenter

In most (all?) cases like this, there is the consideration of SMART to consider. That should be in the back of your mind when planning this activity/intervention.

If confidence is short, then this has to be built up; but that sounds far beyond your remit with respect to your assignment. This activity/intervention requires it to be piecemeal in a sense such that each part contributes to the whole (the LO), with each part being achievable for the child.

With literacy I see a lot of 'boxing up' or planning work before the children are 'ready' to write a long piece of work. This may be something to consider. But again, it depends on how much you have to do for this assignment.