1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with Art & Photography Interview

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by kmheffernan_photo, Nov 28, 2017.

1. kmheffernan_photo

kmheffernan_photo New commenter

Hi all,

I am hoping you can help :)
    Last time I posted on here was due to my lack of finding anything job wise in my field (Photography) since then I have had a couple of interviews and I have been working on supply in secondary schools which has really helped with my behaviour management and confidence as a teacher...

I have an interview next week for a role as Art & Photography teacher which I'm really excited about.

I have been asked to pitch a 50 min lesson to a group of year 9 pupils on Portraiture.
    My initial idea was to focus on just Portrait Photography.. which I would feel confident in as I have checked and their is no preference for my approach.

Since then I have sat down and thought it may be best to link portraiture in art and photography together - My idea is to get the pupils thinking and looking at famous paintings and the importance of 3 key areas to create them. The Sitter, The Pose and The Composition. I would then demonstrate this as if I would be setting up a studio portrait session with the students inputs - then set the students a handout task with various little activities according to the new information I have provided them with as a bit of informal assessment.

I do not want to go in straight with Photography as I feel the post is for an Art & Photography position and it is important for me to demonstrate this despite this I know my strengths in photography would make for a good lesson.

any suggestions welcome!

2. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Only just saw this @kmheffernan_photo . How did you get on with your interviews? Looks like you had some good ideas here.

3. kmheffernan_photo

kmheffernan_photo New commenter

Trendy Art likes this.
  4. Trendy Art

Trendy Art Star commenter

Congratulations @kmheffernan_photo.

I hope you have many happy years at the new place and what a great start to 2018!

5. coldmetal

coldmetal Occasional commenter

I would broaden my brush stroke to Schools and FE and also Graphics Media (lots of photography in this) as well as Art & design good luck with the new job - learn what you can and move on and up...

6. gdoolan84

gdoolan84 New commenter

coldmetal likes this.