1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with AQA Literature A needed

Discussion in 'English' started by penguin8336, Sep 9, 2015.

1. penguin8336

penguin8336 New commenter

I am a supply teacher, and usually get just KS3 and KS4. I'm at a school I've worked with lots of times and they have me down to teach Y12 this year. We are doing Love through the ages, specifically studying Tess of the d'urbervilles.

How does that work at AS level? Do we read through the text in class, discussing and annotating as we go? Or do they read at home? I'd be really grateful for some pointers. Does anyone have a scheme or some resources at the appropriate level they would like to share? I'm feeling rather anxious about it!

Thanks x

2. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

Do you know what they did in June-July? Such as start on other texts? Is this text part of their core or partnered text? Find that out first.

If they have already studied Victorian Lit, you don't really need to go over Victorian context or anything. But if not, go over it in some detail because social is going to be important at A2. Go over Thomas Hardy perhaps. To introduce them to Vic Lit just get perhaps an extract from the Vic lit year 12 paper and analyse that with some prose extract perhaps.

I usually read to the class and annotate/discuss as we go through the novel. Usually 1-3 chapters at a time and then spend a whole lesson recapping and doing chapter activities. Usually ask them to read at home if our lessons are too slow.

There will be a ton of resources on here or TeachIt, especially for Tess.