1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP WITH ANSWERS FOR UNIT 3.

Discussion in 'Music' started by ViolaMan, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Does anyone have advice on the types of answers that are required for Unit 3 "compare and contrast two set works"? I am aware that they can be bullet point but should it be long the lines of "X has mainly root position chords but Y consists of a great many first and second inversion chords? Or can the format resemble a list of the two set works, i.e.:

Tonality:
    Bach.
    x
    y
    z

Haydn:
    x
    y
    z

Texture:
    Bach
    x
    y
    z

Haydn:
    x
    y
    z

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

2. Have you looked at the exemplar materials and examiners comments on the Edexcel website? I've found them really useful and use them as part of my teaching. I hate (with a passion) teaching to the exam but I've found the example answers/examiner comments/guidence a good guide to what's expected.

3. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

I can't actually see much difference in the two methods you describe. They are only going to be asked to compare two or three elements, so answers should probably best be arranged along the lines of:
    Harmony:
    X has mainly root-position triads, Y includes many inverted chords and a number of 7ths
    X has almost entirely diatonic harmony, Y includes a number of chromatic chords
    Texture:
    X is contrapuntal throughout, Y is mostly melody-dominated homphony, with some monophonic sections, and so on.
    Encourage students to note similarities as well as differences, and to give specific references wherever possible (e.g. pentatonic melody, but heptatonic harmony).