1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP WITH AN INTERVIEW LESSON!

Discussion in 'Music' started by ClaireMusic, Jun 24, 2019.

1. ClaireMusic

ClaireMusic New commenter

Hi all. I have an interview on thursday for a part time music position. Ive been an HOD for four years but had a baby last year and my school have refused my part time request.
    I am having a complete brain freeze about what to do for the interview lesson.
    The letter says to "Analyse the use of Musical Theatre to portray a historical event/theme"
    the lesson has to be 25 minutes long and must contain a practical activity.
    Im completely stuck so I need your help.
    Please send me loads of ideas. I know loads about musical theatre but its the actual lesson content thats got me.
    I know what musicals to use as examples but its what to actually do in the lesson!

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!
    xxxx

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I'm not nusic trained but for any observed lesson, whether for interview or not what an observer wants to see is clear evidence of planning to produce progress. So everything has to be easily observable to be demonstrating that.

I always advise people starting from a LO, picked from the scheme. You're an experienced HoD so pick one you know has worked well in the past and adapt it.

What you do in the practical depends largely on what instruments are available and numbers of such, so you need to phone and ask.

Remember to do a plenary to evidence progress.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Lead commenter

Agree with @Lara mfl 05
    Start with what you want them to learn and build the activity around that. Try to consider the age of the pupils and what they are likely to have covered before, but make a plan in case they've not allowing you to step back if required

4. ClaireMusic

The thing is I'm not sure! The lesson title is so strange.... I don't have a clue what practical activity to do that would be relevant...
    I want to do something different, possibly based around les mis and the greatest showman as both of those musicals are based on historical events...
    meh

5. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Of course it depends which age range we'd be looking at , but I'm presuming you'd be looking at how the music enhances the 'historical element / theme', either by use of authentic music or instruments of the time?
    I'd presume you'd then be asking the students to show you an example of their own following your example?

6. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

Simply use Les mis in context of French Revolution with music kids can play and or sing

Or use miss Saigon in Vietnam

You could use drum rhythms for funerals etc

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. ClaireMusic

i was thinking of greatest showman as its historical (based on barnum) and its current. I thought about rewriting the lyrics of "This is me" to reflect an aspect of our history that future scholars will see when they study us.

8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

I have to say I think what they are asking you to do in 25 minutes is pretty daft. Analyse the use of...?

Re-writing lyrics is not an activity which particularly develops music skills.

I think this is the best idea, given the restricted time span. Maybe use pictures/PowerPoint to start a short discussion about the French Revolution and lead into one of the Les Mis songs which they can sing - and maybe add drum rhythms too (e.g. Do you hear the people sing?) Maybe discuss how the lyrics reflect viewpoints/feelings...

I believe a key aspect in teaching a Music interview lesson is your relationship with the pupils. Your observers will no doubt be considering how your personality comes across - are you enthusiastic, positive, energetic? Will pupils want to engage in Music with you at the helm?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

This is an unusual interview lesson title, and in order to get yourself thinking practically I'd reinterpret it to get rid of the word analyse. Use musical theatre to portray a historical event.
    So maybe you use this is me, teach them to play the keyboard intro, or sing the chorus in groups focusing on a particular aspect of performance. And you link if to the historical event in your starter and plenary. Analysing doesn't sound like a very musical task. I'm assuming this is KS3? I think greatest showman is a good choice if you can link it to the historical events. The very start of the film has lots of rhythm and stamping, which strikes me as another easy thing to get going as a whole class practical activity. Good luck in your preparation.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  10. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I’d be inclined to go back to the exam spec and see what the closest exam style question would be. If there isn’t one, then perhaps ask what history topic that year group are doing and use a suitable musical. But maybe go for something a bit unusual? And maybe look at how the musical themes reflect or illuminate the topic. For example, ‘tomorrow belongs to me’ is not a genuine Hitler Youth song but it sounds like it should be. Why?

11. jacobwoolley17

jacobwoolley17 New commenter

Hi,

Hope this helps ... I'd go for looking at Les Mis and the French Revolution. Pick a song like "Look Down" and gets the kids to look at how the composer shows anguish of the French people.

For the practical activity, if you've got keyboards try and get them to learn some of the song or sing the different harmonies in the vocal.

All the best.

12. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@ClaireMusic How did you get on? Did you find the ideas people shared helpful?

Lara mfl 05 likes this.