1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with an interview lesson!

Discussion in 'Science' started by gettinslimmer, Apr 21, 2012.

1. I thought about that. I've decided to get them to make hovercrafts using a cd and then test different bases on the hovercraft and which is best. I thought for independent learning giving each group 2 lolly pop sticks with no's 1 & 2 written on them and they can only ask me 2 questions (I take away a lolly pop stick each time). That way they have to talk to each other rather than "Miss! Miss!" etc Also give them a worksheet to fill in and they decide the columns of the table

Thanks for the help :)

2. I'm hoping that is irony.
    I, for one, get sick of people posting on here saying "what should I do?". My answer is always "give us your thoughts and we will help/criticize". I saw this thread on Saturday and thought "saves me the effort".
    Presumably you are going to provide a balloon to give lift to the hovercraft - will you demonstrate how to make one or leave them to their own devices? How will they control the amount of lift each time? How will they change the base (I'm not expecting a comparison between Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden [​IMG] )? What do you/they mean by "best"? Is there a prize (what is the school policy on this)?
    Hopefully you will have already considered these questions - I'm not expecting an answer BUT if you post something I'll try to respond around 5pm.
    Good luck - let us know how things go, please.

3. On reflection, I'd give this experiment a miss [​IMG]
    You are holding yourself as a hostage to fortune if you imagine a group of "unknown" 12-13y olds will not let balloons fly everywhere (by accident, of course) and that no "rasping noises" will be emitted.
    Plus: who determines which pupils work with each other? what if some pupils have a TA to give support - do they remove a lollipop stick every time they ask for help? where is the differentiation?
    I'd look for something much more controllable (boring, but how about the period of a pendulum? Perhaps a metre rule with a lump of plasticene at 10, 20, 30cm or vary the mass of the lump etc)
    Sorry; I wouldn't do the hovercraft - but it's your call. [​IMG]

4. Can I just say that I had thought (and I did state in the first post) that I already had some ideas. With being new to this I was looking for advice from other teachers who had more of an understanding of the title.

What I have discovered after preparing and planning for the lesson is that it is feasible lesson. I've done something similar before with year seven.

All the points you have made have been completely addressed prior to your post. The school have a policy of promoting independent learning and this is what I am following. There are no TA's or anyone on the SEN register in the class (I asked, not bad for someone who can't be bothered)

Kids are kids balloons will be played with. That is obvious. I have spares. I have full packs I have created with various materials in them and I also have a remote control hovercraft toy to get their attention.

My husband (who is a highly qualified and experience physics teacher) told me to put something on the forum as the title was so open ended just to give me ideas. I came up with the idea myself just to add.

I don't think I will take his advice of posting on here in the future.

Shame how you assume so much when you know very little about me as a teacher. I don't see the benefit of such a negative response to someone who hasn't really posted on here before who is just looking for an idea from an experienced teacher.

I thought about doing something more controllable but with this being an interview lesson I wanted to do something more memorable. Just hope it works

5. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

If it's advice you're looking for, I'd advise you accept advice with good grace and, if you must be so sensitive, try at least to hide it. You risk offending and putting off people who are trying to help you and as an NQT you WILL need lots of help and support.

That's meant as sincere advice by the way.

6. peterdevon

peterdevon New commenter

That (the positive response) was a surprise to me too... my post was made with my tongue in my cheek - I was trying to suggest to the OP that she should do the work of planning the lesson rather than asking us to do it for her.

7. YES, I realised that. Hence my comment that it "saved me the effort". THANKS to you too! [​IMG]

8. PhysicsDrills

PhysicsDrills New commenter

Followed by:
    You don't think that saying 'I, for one, get sick of people posting on here...' is negative? I would suggest that if you do 'get sick of people' asking for help, participating on a forum design to provide help and support is probably not a good idea.

9. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Unfair.

PSU gives out good advice when the OP has given sufficient thought to his/her post and provided enough information. There are boundless examples on here if I cared to search for them.

10. lunarita

lunarita Established commenter

PSU made two helpful posts on this very thread, posts 4 and 5.
    That they didn't suit the OP is a pity, but they are there.

11. As the OP there were some ideas however it was the manner in which the response was written. Then I made a comment back and this was greeted with yet more distasteful language. I really thought it was very unfair. It was not necessarily bad advice but the overuse of capital letters not very professional in my eyes. I understand you have a wealth of experience (and I am open to advice) but I believe you made a very tense situation for me a little less palatable with the comments. I am pleased I did not read some of the comments until after I accepted the post. There are ways and means of saying the same thing but maybe a little more diplomatically.

As a newbie to the forums on TES you don't always know what to put.

No-one can please everyone all of the time, nor should one feel the need to.

I actually did do the hovercraft thing. I used a toy hovercraft and a worksheet I produced myself where the pupils had to decide there own variables. Every group was different. I briefly explain, in simplistic terms, how a hovercraft works and had a demo I made. The pupils changed the base of he hovercraft by cutting out various materials and gluing them to the bottom of the CD. Yeah sure there were a few bursting balloons but the pupils loved it. So much so they took some of them home!

Some of the pupils are also at my sister in laws dance school and were still talking about the lesson then.

It was a risk but isn't that the difference between a good and an outstanding lesson?

The pupils made progress in the lesson and were fully engaged. I enjoyed taking the lesson and I think that showed. I knew the pupils enjoyed it because they asked me if I was there new science teacher. When I replied by saying I hope to be but this was my interview they then went up to the observer and said "I want her to get the job!" That was amazing to hear and unprompted by anyone as there were no other pupils around (he was the last to leave)

12. THANK YOU (I feel capitals are justified here - hope you don't object) for an informative reply. I am truely pleased for you and it is good to see an enthusiastic physics teacher being employed to further the education of the next generation(s). [​IMG]
    Many many years ago I did some research with the Assessment of Performance Unit. A lot of folk were involved and my particular team's work lead to the instigation of coursework in GCSE science (IF you don't like that, at least you now know one of the people to complain about [​IMG]. Personally, I am very proud of it and believe it was a tremendous step forward for many schools, forcing them to ensure all pupils carried out experiments.) It was activities carried out by those pupils which make me just wish to highlight a concern about your hovercraft experiment (it is not a criticism in a negative way): by altering the base materials, they were probably also altering the mass to be lifted, which for a hovercraft will be quite significant.
    "Our" APU work was set up in a similar manner: if they altered one variable (no matter what it was), something else changed. Our task was to ascertain if they understood variables and how to alter / control / account for them. Each team member had 30 mins with one Y9 pupil and a wide range of equipment which always had to be set up in an absolutely identical manner. This was carried out at a variety of schools all over England. We asked one standardised question and left them to get on with it while we recorded, analysed and finally questioned them about their actions.
    I APPLAUD your open-ended investigative lesson and hope you do not fall into "safe" mode during the remainder of your career. I tried not to and some of my experiments still get a mention in the bar when I bump into past pupils. However, I would still suggest that it was a risky enterprise in an interview situation.
    Good luck for the future.