1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with an emotional child please...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by l.wood2, Jan 12, 2011.

1. After a particularly hard day I feel really lost with this child and any help would be greatly appreciated. I have a girl in my class (Y6) who has lots of personal issues, she is constantly worrying about anything and everything and this is largely due to her personal history (which is horrid and makes me want to cry when I think about it). Because of this obviously she struggles to concentrate etc in class, she will open up and talk but only when she either becomes frustrated or very upset. I just wondered if anyone has any ideas on how I can help her to express her feelings in a safe way before she reaches the frustrated/angry/upset stage.

I have tried smiley/sad face chart but she is reluctant. Also have a worry box (but she struggles with literacy) and a team of very trusted staff who she can talk to at any time.

I feel like I am letting her down and that I don't know how to help.

Should probably say parents very supportive but they also feel lost.

Any help/ideas would be greatly welcomed.

Thank you