1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with activity planning for SRP Teaching Assistant role

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by ashleigh-hobbs, Sep 12, 2020.

1. ashleigh-hobbs

ashleigh-hobbs New commenter

Hello,
    Any help would be great appreciated.

I have an interview for SRP Teaching Assistant role on Tuesday 15th September.

As part of the selection process I will need to complete the following task:
    Plan a 10 minute activity to delivery to 2-3 SRP children in year 6 to help them develop their social communication skills.

I really don’t know where to start and want to make sure I do the best I can. I’d anyone could help that would be great.

thank you.

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi ashleigh-hobbs, welcome to TES. I've been in schools for more than 30 years, but I had to look up 'SRP'! Congratulations on getting an interview, competition for jobs is very tough today.

10 minutes is a very short time and much depends on the children - is this an SEN school, or mainstream? You could ask for 4 children, so that you have two pairs. Start by introducing yourself and say you're going to tell them some important things about yourself. Tell them two things you like and one you don't like. Praise good listening skills. Tell them that they now know something about you, but you don't know anything about them. Pair them up and ask them to find out two things the other person likes and one they don't like - they might need paper and pencil to jot down notes. Then take turns to introduce each other... 'This is ........... and he likes ........... and .......... but he doesn't like .............' Talk about speaking clearly and good listening skills. Give lots of praise to the person who is speaking and the listeners. If time, you can take it a bit further - does anyone have any questions for anyone about their likes and dislikes? (Make sure you have a couple).

You will find lots of other ideas online, but remember - 10 minutes is a very short time.

Best of luck with the interview; let us know how you get on.