1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with a TEFL qualification.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TomD12, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TomD12

TomD12 New commenter

Good evening all. I am a Year 2 teacher here in sunny Wales. Whilst I am more than happy in my school and with my class etc, I am always looking to further improve myself and gain more qualifications.

I would like to do the TEFL course (teaching English as a foreign language). I have googled it and I feel its a minefiled out there. There are so many companies offering the course etc.

Is there an actual 'TEFL' business who are the originals or do I choose one of my own choice?

Any help would be much appreciated and if you have done the qualification it would be great to hear from you.

Thank you in advance,
    Tom

2. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Star commenter

You're already TEFL, then! ;)

3. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

The only 2 reputable qualifications are Cambridge CELTA and Oxford Trinity. These are aimed at teaching you to teach EFL to adults, although after the CELTA you can do a young learner extension certificate. Both require you to complete essays and teach observed lessons, and are month long intensive courses if full time.

I did CELTA about 9 years ago. It was fantastic fun, and boosted my grammatical knowledge (non-native students are not taught the same grammar that you teach natives are primary). After that I taught EFL abroad and in the UK, then I did the PGCE.

Why do you want to do this? I don't think it will help you at school, because EFL is all about assessing students' English ability, then teaching them vocab and grammar in a structured way, building on prior knowledge, which isn't possible at school because proper language assessments of new arrivals are not done, although you may be planning to offer lunch or after school classes for students, or develop a programme to support new arrivals?

If you are thinking of moving into EFL as a career, be aware that permanent jobs are hard to come by (depending on where you live), and salary and benefits are not good. Summer work is available, but you will work ridiculous hours for rubbish pay. If you want to work abroad you are in a better position with PGCE and QTS than you would be with a CELTA.

4. frangipani123

frangipani123 Lead commenter

I would recommend looking at the CELTA via Cambridge University and the Trinity CELTA. They are both widely accepted, for example by the British Council.

http://www.cambridgeenglish.org/teaching-english/teaching-qualifications/celta/ways-to-take-celta/

http://www.trinitycollege.com/site/?id=704

Why do you want to do it? Do you want to travel and teach overseas? If you want to go further you can then take a DELTA. Work in this country tends to be very seasonal, very busy in the summer. If you want to work in the university sector it's very competitive and you need a DELTA or equivalent.

5. TomD12

TomD12 New commenter

I do indeed plan on teaching overseas in the future. I thought having a TEFL qualification would enhance my prospects and help me become a better teacher.