1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with a return to teaching

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by MrCamos, Mar 15, 2020.

1. MrCamos

MrCamos New commenter

I'm currently looking for a way to get back into teaching. Now, when I say 'get back into' I'm pretty certain I'd need to start afresh.

I originally studied to teach Design and Technology several years ago. It was a 4 year course with the PGCE element built in, with large chunks of time dedicated to teaching placements each year. Upon graduating I taught for 2 terms on a temporary basis but following this didn't go into teaching full time.

I'm now looking to get back into teaching and am interested in Art and Design as a subject and would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on the possible options and routes available to me.

2. ellenlilymay

ellenlilymay New commenter

I am assuming that you have a degree in Design and Technology as a degree is mandatory for teaching in UK secondary schools.

Depending on how long it has been since you were last in a classroom, I would suggest you simply apply for jobs based on your experience, or otherwise post in the Art and Design TES forum if there is one, for further specific advice. However movement between subjects is not as rare as you may believe, and your movement would not be that far. I am sure many Art and Design teachers have a Design and Technology background. I trained in one subject and now teach something completely different. Alternatively when a job comes up you may like to ring the school and talk to the HoD to see how your experience fits in. If you are not confident perhaps do some temporary work in a relevant department to learn the ropes.

There was a scheme called "Return to Teaching" or similar to get people to go back into teaching but I am not sure if this is still running.

3. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

agathamorse likes this.