1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help with a delicate situation

Discussion in 'Assessment' started by oaksi567, Jul 19, 2018.

1. oaksi567

oaksi567 New commenter

Hi all,

I have a really difficult situation regarding school selection for secondary education and could do with some advice. It is centred around bullying, family history and behaviour issues. This is going to be difficult to explain but I will attempt to explain it the best I can.

Firstly, my eleven-year old stepbrother has been subjected to intense bullying from a family past that wasn’t his own making. About fifteen years ago, my uncle was found guilty of sexually assaulting a girl under the age of sixteen years old, and every once in a while there has been incidents where family members have been subjected to assaults in the street. My Dad, most notably, was on the end of name calling in the street once. The worst thing is that my stepbrother happened to end up at the same Primary School with a child that was the daughter of one of the relatives of the family. Since then, he has been subjected to bullying and insults from that child. My parents tried to take him out of the school and find somewhere better but there wasn’t any available schools in the area. He has behaviour issues and special needs, so that makes it increasingly difficult too.

Secondary, because of these behaviour issues and special needs, he requires support to help him through his studies. Consequently, there are only a few schools in my area that can help him with these issues. His original first choice rejected him on the basis of his behaviour. To make things worse, he has been chosen to attend the same school as the child mentioned. My parents have appealed against this and explained the details regarding the past, but it hasn’t had much effect. They even wrote a letter and still are waiting for a response.

Lastly, he has become very anxious of going to school. I guess when you’re the victim of constant bullying it takes it tool. Schools only have so much power to discipline children. He has came home before with bruises on his legs and arms from the abuse.

I want to explain more, but obviously it is difficult with what has gone on. What would be the best course of action?

2. 50sman

50sman Senior commenter

any assault or abuse needs to be documented and reported to the police - it is a crime.
    The next step is to write to the LA and school not to appeal but to ask what support they will have in place.
    All children intros country have a right to sn education regardless of their family circumstances.

Flanks likes this.
  3. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

From what you are saying, does he have an EHCP?

If you want to discuss things more candidly feel free to drop me a private message.

I agree whole heartedly with the above comment. If he had been assaulted then contact the police. Also contact the schools designated safeguarding lead, or head, or safeguarding governor.