1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! Where to go in Cambridge area with slow older lady

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Doitforfree, Feb 18, 2012.

1. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Star commenter

We're going to Cambridge tomorrow with my mother in law who can't walk far now. Can anyone suggest a good place nearby to go for lunch with maybe something to do for my eleven year old? Somewhere we can park and eat and do an activity (or just a decent playground) would be ideal. I realise I should have given this some thought before tonight...! I'd be most grateful for any suggestions. I don't know the area at all well.

2. Hi Doitforfree
    Cambridge is always a bit of a nightmare for parking if you want the centre. My first thought was the Fitzwilliam Museum - free entry, has kids trails to borrow - and actually quite a lot that mine wanted to see at that age - eg the Egyptian room with real mummys etc... NB there is a side way in to avoid the daunting steps up to the main entrance (there are also steps within the museum, but I'm pretty sure there are ways of getting around - or at least seeing a selection of the galleries without too much walking).
    If you are lucky, there might be parking along the road outside... (Trumpington Street) and there are several restaurants opposite (including a branch of Browns if you want to look up on the net and book ahead.
    If there is another adult in your party, then you can drop half your party off and drive on to the nearby Grand Arcade car park if there is no space on the road outside - but parking costs there can be steep if you are staying long.

If you are looking for near, but not in Cambridge, then National Trust places like Wimpole Hall and Anglesey Abbey might be an option (I seem to recall you can get some nice lunches at their restaurants). Anglesey has the car park very close to the restaurant, whereas Wimpole has Home Farm - with animals to look at - though it is a bit of a walk to the farm.
    Hope some of these help - or will encourage others to suggest better ideas!
    Liz

3. You have mail!

4. Doitforfree

I hadn't thought of NT places. Good idea, I'll look into them.

5. Doitforfree

We went to Anglesey Abbey and had a lovely afternoon. Thanks for all the great suggestions. I'll keep them on hold for the next visit. It was pretty busy at the abbey but they'd put on extra catering and we saw the watermill working which was great.