1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

HELP...What's in the news?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by JessSouthwell, Mar 12, 2012.

1. Hello,
    Im really struggling to find things that are currently in the news about Secondary Schools...and this is certain to come up in my interview.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

2. Hello,
    Im really struggling to find things that are currently in the news about Secondary Schools...and this is certain to come up in my interview.
    Any help would be much appreciated!

3. Hi,

Make sure you focus on the English Baccalaureate. That is big issue in schools at the moment. The Ebacc requires children to achieve GCSE grade C or about in 5 core subjects - English, Maths, Science, a humanity (NOT RE) and a language (MODERN OR HISTORIC)...

The Ebacc is not compulsory however schools are being measured on how many children achieve the qualification so schools will force the children to take it. Leaving out many vocational and creative subjects. Also, where do faith schools stand where RE is compulsory yet children cannot receive the EBACC with it?

It's a MASSIVE issue at the moment.

Read around it, there is a lot!

Hope this helps!

4. Thank You...the school I work in are actually advertising this to our Year 8 children at the minute! This is great, thank you :)

5. BarryRiley

BarryRiley New commenter

The head of Ofsted has today been complaining about literacy levels in secondary education