1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! What to do?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Gibson5897, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Gibson5897

Gibson5897 New commenter

Hi All,

I’m currently an NQT in a church school in a really tough catchment area. I find the children really hard to manage in terms of behaviour and the workload is really tough. It’s an outstanding school so of course higher expectations, however, it’s more than I can manage and a lot of it seems repeated or something we are told to do just days in advance. As an NQT a lot of the time I’m not sure what I need to do and I feel like a burden having to ask. I’ve decided I just don’t think the school is right for me for a lot of reasons! I’m not sure whether to just stick it out for another year or to look for something else this year? So I guess my questions are:

Should I stick it out?
    How do I tell the head I want to look elsewhere?

One more thing; the school I would like to apply to if I do decide to leave is a school I applied for last year. I got through to interview last year however didn’t go as I had already accepted this role. Would it be okay to apply again?

Sorry for the long read!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

As an NQT you should have a mentor and they would be your first point of reference to share these worries with. It's their job to help you understand the behaviour policies and you needn't be afraid of asking 'basic' questions. In fact you may even gain more help because you have admitted you need help, as opposed to someone who seems to want to blunder on alone and doesn't seek help.
    Believe me years ago we were well aware we were newbies and needed to ask for lots of help, advice and support. Of course we did have a number of experienced teachers to ask for help from, as we didn't have mentors in those days

MissKitCat likes this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Things do tend to get easier once you've been there a bit longer. As far as behaviour goes, you won't be "the new teacher" next year (I remember, in a tough school, the first time I glared through a classroom door and it had an effect - definitely wouldn't have happened the first year). You'll know the school's systems so will have a better idea of what demands will be coming your way. And hopefully you'll spend a second year in the same year group, which means much of your planning will already be there.

We can't tell how bad your current school is in terms of workload, but don't assume another school will be better - and you'll be back to square one in terms of behaviour, systems, planning (maybe square two there). Have a chat to your mentor - they may be able to reassure you that things will become easier.

There's no rule against applying to the same school again. They may remember that you pulled out last year, so it might be worth referring to this so that they remember that it's because you'd just got a job offer elsewhere (most people understand the pressure not to turn down a job when there's no guarantee that you'll be offered the next one) and not because you just changed your mind about the school.

If you do apply elsewhere, you must tell your head. You need to ask them if they will give you a reference - that's best done in person. Try to give a positive reason for wanting to move, eg it's a shorter commute, you would prefer a non-church school, you'd like experience in a larger/smaller school.

MissKitCat and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  4. dunnocks

dunnocks Star commenter

You only get one life, don't waste it where you are unhappy. You might find other schools just as bad, but get on with trying them out, yes of course you can reapply for that second school. You won't hear back from most applications you make, just go for it and see what happens. If you don't find somewhere you like, leave teaching , before you become too entrenched

MissKitCat, hammie and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Leave it a while and see how this term goes. The first term is always the worst, you might find it gets a whole lot better.
    If you still feel the same at Easter, then apply for jobs in the summer term to leave in August.

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

if you applied but did not attend AND informed them that it was because you had already accepted a post, that is absolutely no bar to applying again, the opposite in fact.

7. MissKitCat

MissKitCat New commenter

Hi, the NQT year is challenging for many reasons (teaching a year group for the first time, getting used to the routines of the school, developing behaviour management techniques etc). The second year is easier! I have worked with NQTs in my year group and been a mentor, please ask your colleagues questions as there is so much that will be new to you.
    I would not be put off applying for the same school again, if asked you can explain that you had already accepted a job. Good luck for next term, Autumn Term is the longest!

8. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Senior commenter

Sadly, what you have described sounds like a pretty normal school. Your placement schools may have been easier but I doubt many places are significantly different. I’d concentrate on working out how best to teach where you are. As people have said, it gets easier, especially after the first long holiday. You feel a bit refreshed, the kids are happy to be back... it’s just a bit more natural.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Why would you choose to work in a school where a similar vacancy crops up year on year? Try to divorce yourself from the fact they wanted you, and look at the fact that they are advertising again.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.