1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help! What do I need to prepare?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by hats_hats, Jul 18, 2011.

1. I am an NQT starting in reception in September.
    I'm trying to create a list of the things I need to do over the summer holidays so that I am ready for September. There's just one problem - I don't know where to start!
    My TA has said she will do name labels for trays and pegs. I have done name labels for the fruit/snack bar; is there anything else I might need colourful/laminated name labels for?
    What else might I need to prepare? I am going to be making 2 papier mache eggs in the next week or 2 for our topic work (don't ask! haha).
    I will also be doing some home visits in the first week of term, what sorts of things do I need to ask parents/children?
    I'm suddenly feeling quite overwhelmed and don't know where to start! Please tell me this is normal?!

2. I am an NQT starting in reception in September.
    I'm trying to create a list of the things I need to do over the summer holidays so that I am ready for September. There's just one problem - I don't know where to start!
    My TA has said she will do name labels for trays and pegs. I have done name labels for the fruit/snack bar; is there anything else I might need colourful/laminated name labels for?
    What else might I need to prepare? I am going to be making 2 papier mache eggs in the next week or 2 for our topic work (don't ask! haha).
    I will also be doing some home visits in the first week of term, what sorts of things do I need to ask parents/children?
    I'm suddenly feeling quite overwhelmed and don't know where to start! Please tell me this is normal?!

3. marymoocow

marymoocow Star commenter

Hats breathe and calm! The best thing my mentor told me when I was running around like a headless chicken was, "You will be teaching for many years and can't do it all in a day."
    The main things are really your classroom environment, which you cant do unless you can get into school in the hols. Unless it is already set up as you want, it is best to clear everything out so you can see the space and then draw a plan.
    Relabel any resources if need be, but this will wait, you have all term.
    I usually have name cards for tracing/ showing formation.
    Welcome/ class label for your doors.
    Info board notices for parents, laminated so they can be written on. ie PE days, snack money, diary dates, what we are learning, what parents can do at home.
    If you get a chance have a good look at your resources and chuck the tat because if you dont do it now, you will never get around to it.
    If children are having any workbooks, label them.
    You will probably play for the first couple of weeks while they settle, so I tend to write an all encompassing transition medium term plan. Perhaps paint pictures of themselves for a quick easy display. Keep any teacher directed times short and sweet.
    I loved my first day as a reception teacher, its a great feeling to have your own class.
    Does your school have an all about me booklet that is done on home visits. If not it would be a good idea to have one. Ours has a space for the child to draw a picture of themselves and then questions about who they live with(extremely useful if not many of your parents are married like ours) what they like to play with, who their friends are etc. The second part has questions for parents such as medical conditions, whether their child has ever been away from them, what type of personality they have etc. Are you going with someone? if you are one person can read a story or play a simple game with them.
    You'll be fine, enjoy!

4. I'd make a load of phase 1 and 2 phonic games/counting games from **********/****** as you wont want to be making them at school during the dark winter evenings. Get bits like a tricky word wall ready for later in the year.

It's nice to have labels to put next to their work on displays - although I have a photo with the names but you could leave a space for that.

Use word to make a class list of their names with boxes for ticking things off of- And yes it is completely normal to not know where to start!

5. Please don't use ********** for reasons that have been discussed at leangth on this forum. Lots and lots of other websites with great resources. communication4all is another useful one.

6. Hi Hats, I'm in the same boat as you. I have already started a list of what I need to do, hope it helps:
    1. find any display resources I want in my room e.g. alphabet and number posters, colours, birthday display etc.
    2. put the children into provisional groups so that I can separate them easily.
    3. Planning all my board displays (what's going to be on them, name etc)
    4. doing a med term plan of getting to know you activities.
    5. Looking round carboot's/ebay/charity shops for any toys or resources I want in my classroom.
    6. I have got email addresses for my TAs and am trying to get to know them a little before Sept (planning to meet up over the summer).
    7. creating class lists with tick boxes like already mentioned.

That's everything I have got for now, will be keeping an eye on the thread tho so thanks for starting it!

Rach