1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help!! What can I do to get out of Fixed Term Contract....

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by DawnTA2010, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Hi ,
    Was wondering if I could ask you for a bit of advice?
    Ive been volunteering since May last year in year 3 and 4, and on tuesday the head came into the classroom and asked the teacher if she could spare me at all. Then the head told me to go to Nursery and then go and see her after. I thought nothing of it as I tend to get asked to go to different classrooms to provide extra support every now and then.
    Then I overhear the head telling the nursery staff that she's "spoken to people and all she needed was to get her to sign the forms"
    Then later after about 1 hour of me being in nursery with the kids, she asks me if I want a job in Nursery to help her out so she can release 2 of the staff there etc... I was in shock and numb... said yes. Now its saturday, im due to start the fixed term contract on monday and its just hitting me what ive actually said id do. Im not happy about it, I dont like it in Nursery, in fact I hate it. Ive spent the week crying everyday at work and all the head did when she saw me was laugh and smile... as if she thought it was a good thing I was crying.
    I really want to go back to just volunteering in 3 & 4 and be "normal" again. Im having panic attacks and am quite angry as ive realised she'd pushed all the paper work through before even asking me!!! I feel I havent been given enough time to make a decision and now I feel trapped!
    ive gone from wanting to continue training as a primary school teacher, to not wanting to step foot in a school incase I get treated like this again. Ive got good rapport with the teachers and children in 3, 4 and 5.
    What can I do to get out of this job? I dont think ive signed a contract... if I have I didnt realise it. Ive had 2 letters from local council offering me the job with one saying that the formal letter and contract are yet to be sent to me... but if I dont have them by 21 march (monday) then Im still to go into work on Monday!!!
    Im really upset and worried about this. Have I got any leg to stand on to say to her, look ive had time to think about it over weekend, discussed with family and decided its not for me, as I care for my Mum and being a volunteer at this time suites me... as I can be there for my Mum when she needs me...
    My heads all over the place, I cant sleep or eat. I feel so claustraphobic and anxious.
    Thanks for any help you can give me. xxxxxx

2. I'm guessing that you can still refuse to sign the contract - and even if you signed already there must be a way of handing in your notice. The only trouble is you might antagonise the head enough to lose your volunteer role. Might be worth it though. If you explain your situation at home and admit you were a bit hasty in accepting then surely they'll understand?
    Good luck

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I would write a letter politely thanking the head for the offer of a job, but explaining that you would prefer to remain with years 3 and 4 in a voluntary capacity for the time being. If that turns awkward - volunteer somewhere else - I am sure your extra help will be welcome, though in the current climate, the job offer sounds like a good opportunity so do think carefully before declining it.