1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help wanted... tips for behaviour management in PE lessons

Discussion in 'Primary' started by amicalola, Apr 25, 2012.

1. I am currently doing casual supply teaching in KS2 in different schools and would really appreciate your tips for behaviour management in PE lessons. How do you get the children (usually boys) to stop and listen quickly rather than being silly at the farthest end of the hall? How can I keep the lesson flowing and the children engaged?

2. Ensure children are clear on rules: rewards such as team points for good behaviour and following behaviour system for bad. If children are being disruptive, give them a warning and if they do it again, make them sit out for 5 mins. Explain it is for their safety and others.

3. When I was on supply, I just kept stopping the lesson and explaining why they needed to be safe. It's boring and takes a while but worth the wait!

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

One warning then they're out for 5 minutes. If they continue to do it, they will be sent to another class and then miss playtime or golden time. I don't mess about and it sends a clear message to the other kids that it's not acceptable in PE.

5. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

With my own class I once got them to go bk to the class, get changed and sat in silence for 5 mins. This had a positive effect on them for the next few lessons. It hasn't lasted tho so I'll probably need to do it again. I should stress a large number of them were being silly, not just 1 or 2, and as a supply I wouldn't do this unless I was in the same class for a few days/weeks.