1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help wanted! Signing deaf children in mainstream school ...

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by sashh, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Do you want FE experiences as well?

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

Until this year I worked in a school in Somerset with a HI resource base. Somerset is a non-signing county when it comes to HI children. A couple of the children in the base signed at home, especially where there were others in the family who were HI, but at school no signing was allowed, they used hearing aids (with radio aids for the teachers) and lipreading - in my opinion a much more useful combination as it prepares the children to communicate out in the real world where most people cannot sign. We did not have any children though that had total hearing loss, but some were pretty severe even with their coclear implants.

3. Hi Mandydevine
    Thanks for your reply, so for the delay in getting back to you. Would you be willing to complete a questionnaire - that I could email to you. My email address is jopurple@robson0.fsnet.co.uk. If you would agree to complete the questionnaire, please email me with your email address.
    Where do you work? We do not really have units in my county any more. I used to be unit based, I miss having a class.

Many thanks

Jo

4. Dear Sashh
    It would be great to hear about your FE work. Would you be willing to complete a questionnaire that I could email to you. My email address is jopurple@robson0.fsnet.co.uk. If you would agree to complete the questionnaire, please email me with your email address.
    Thanks
    Jo

5. Dear Trinity0097

Interesting, your entire county does not sign. How do communicate with your profoundly deaf children and ones with CI? Would be really interested for you to fill in a questionnaire too. My email address is jopurple@robson0.fsnet.co.uk. If you would agree to complete the questionnaire, please email me with your email address.
    Thanks
    Jo

6. Hi pwc9000
    I agree with you, in my experience children with greater hearing loss benefit from the use of sign - a language they more quickly able to acquire - which impacts their acquisition of spoken language. Once the basis of the spoken language is developing, the sign may be used as a 'bridge' to the concept and then the spoken word. A child centred approach to communication is essential. All children learn in different ways and have a varied communication background. It makes a ToD life very interesting!
    Please would you email me your feelings about the sign in your son's language development? That would be great. jopurple@robson0.fsnet.co.uk

Thanks
    Jo

7. It is good that your children are pre taught concepts and vocabualry. I find this essential, it is a big part of my work. Do you work in a unit/resource base? It is good to have space where deaf children can work in quiet conditions.
    Jo

8. I totally agree. To be pro sign/speech is not helpful. To give a child the ability to communicate -very helpful. I am very glad your children have had the opportunity to attend a HIU (which county was/is that in - do you still have units?) and I know it works. I worked in this way for 10 years, but we have little unit provision now - trend being everyone going to mainstream. Shame.

Thanks for your reply.

Jo