1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Help very highly educated Blk women yet cannot get a job in high level education.?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by cocogoinloco, Nov 16, 2015.

?

Why are blk women missing from high profile jobs in education.? ?

1. Racism

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Or non racism

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cocogoinloco

cocogoinloco New commenter

I have exceptional Cv 25 year experience in my field.
    Being to countless interviews with no joy.
    Cannot help but see, intervieweers are very intimidatig by lines of questioning at interviews. Which sometimes are questioning my capabilites of basic skills areas, which is I feel is offensive, if reviewing my previous job roles and level of edu cation.
    I dress the part, perform excellent at interviews excel at presentations. Yet get the same old excuses, cannot help but think blk women are missing from high profile jobs in education. I am now in a dilemia too educated to be a lecturer and payscale with my level should be 43+ so what should I do. I am not blowing my own trumpet but I am very good and do work with accreditation bodies to survive and persuing Phd.
    Even did a few test stating I was white british in application and was given far more responses than been blk british using same CV. So what can you recommend? and what advise can you give.
    My area is Fashion Design, I teach design and career devepment, I have worked at high profile colleges and was at one stage the only blk course director in Uk., of which I was a successful Course Director. I have written cirriculums, developed courses you name it I did it!.
    Now aged 42 I feel I havd been fazed out my own industry?

2. sabrinakat

sabrinakat Star commenter

I would suggest that one aspect could be your level of writing in English - the above post is disjointed, awkward and somewhat confusing to read.

You state that you have 25 years experience - in education? Industry? How did you gain such experience? If it was in education, then what was successful then? If outside of education, what skills can you bring to employers?

Look at all of Theo's advice, especially on the job seekers thread, and hopefully,you will gain some insight into how to approach interviews, etc.

wanet and snowyhead like this.
  3. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

OK...I'll bite:
    troll.png

wanet, snowyhead and RedQuilt like this.
  4. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

@cocogoinloco Could I suggest before you embark on a PhD that you revisit the KS2 English curriculum with a focus on spelling, punctuation and grammar. Attention to these areas just might give you the edge when you apply thus enabling you to show potential employers how 'excellent' you are at interviews.

wanet likes this.
  5. aspensquiver

aspensquiver Star commenter

Have those who have responded to the OP not read the sticky about mocking other posters' spelling, grammar etc?

The mods might not be happy with your responses.

Just sayin.

6. aspensquiver

The aforementioned sticky is on Personal.

7. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I don't believe people ARE mocking the OP's spelling and grammar, just pointing out that, on the evidence available, it MIGHT be a factor in the lack of success in finding a suitable post.

wanet, sabrinakat and snowyhead like this.
  8. aspensquiver

Hmmm. I think they are crowding around the OP to see who can be the most "amusing".
    One contributor implies the OP is a "troll" which is actually more unpleasant than the Sp&G stuff.

9. cocogoinloco

10. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I think it's reasonable to suggest that the OP might benefit from someone casting an eye over her applications.

snowyhead likes this.
  11. cocogoinloco

Excuse me... I have a B in English and I really think your answer has no credence.
    As it defeats, the the objective of my question.

12. cocogoinloco

13. cocogoinloco

People write posts at times quite openly.
    I have a B in English and I feel your answer was rude and dismissive of my question.
    So if you do not have anything constructive to say why speak?
    As you seem to not answer my over arching question.

14. cocogoinloco

15. snowyhead

snowyhead Lead commenter

Mocking? I prefer to think of it as constructive criticism to aid the OP in getting her applications past the shortlisting stage because the OP stated that they had tested the process by taking on the persona of a 'white' person to get through the initial application stage. This evidentally didn't work either as the prospective employer would have uncovered the 'lie' during the face-to-face interviews and identification checks which have to be carried out for teaching posts.

OP - if you read @TheoGriff's excellent advice on the Jobseeker's Forum she says exactly the same about spelling, grammar and punctuation in letters of application.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
    monicabilongame, wanet and sabrinakat like this.
  16. RedQuilt

RedQuilt Star commenter

Have you read it? I refer you to your post to me yesterday when you did precisely what you are pulling posters up for here.

monicabilongame and snowyhead like this.
  17. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

She says that interviewers are sometimes questioning her grasp of basic skills. I'm wondering if this includes literacy competence. Having a B in English doesn't mean you can't make mistakes.
    I'd also suggest that if her response to questioning is similar to her tone on here she might not be coming over well in interview.
    On that basis I think it's difficult to make any judgement about discrimination being a factor.

18. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

People are just trying to be helpful. Your posts indicate that your grammar and punctuation are letting you down.

19. cocogoinloco

25 years overall in sector, incoporating 13 years in education. 8 years as a Course Director.
    I have a BA HONS, MA and Pgdhe. So I think the person who was stating, I should take KS2 English makes, me need to review perhaps I have some imaginery qualifications!!
    Regarding interviews, if numerous people ask to keep my powerpoints and make positive statements about them. Also performance in interview, is near flawless perhaps it is all in my imagination.
    In my experience, I have witnessed people with less and no qualifications getting some high profile jobs.
    Hmmm ...I wonder at TES, how many high level members of management do you have of blk origin.
    So I suppose I will push, all my qualifications to one side together with my wealth of experience. Talking the advice from a women called Snowhead?

20. cocogoinloco

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.